𝕏𝕀𝕏

After Aurora wakes up the next morning, she's not too happy about me staying awake all night, but I don't care. I'm glad she's rested.

"We need to take turns tomorrow night. Promise me," she says sternly. "Don't be a hero. We both need to rest."

"Fine," I concede. "Tomorrow we can switch off."

I'm startled by a low, rumbling noise coming from the distance. "What was that?" I ask, looking around for the source. "Did you hear that?"

Aurora nods. "It sounds like thunder," she suggests. I look up to the sky, but as usual, there are no clouds above us in the dome. I can see all the way up to the top of the massive gridded dome.

"Is it even possible for it to rain in here?" I ask, confused. I have no idea how the weather in here even works.

"I guess so," Aurora says, pointing at the forest. "Look."

Above the trees about a mile away, I can see a thick sheet of rain pouring onto Arena. It looks like it's getting closer.

I sigh. "Let's put on our jackets, then." We're going to get soaked.

A cannon shot fires as we put our coats on, and Aurora and I glance at one another. I'm starting to feel uneasy. Are the Gamemakers hiding another trick up their sleeves?

A second cannon fires, and that's the final straw. I stand to my feet, grabbing my spear, and Aurora stands as well. It's only a matter of seconds before the rain reaches us, and I'm not sure what to expect.

Finally, the downpour reaches us, and thick raindrops splatter across the ground at my feet, ricocheting off my raincoat. I hold out my hand, catching a few drops in the palm of my hand. They feel cool and refreshing, just like the rain we got back in District 4.

Then my hand starts to burn.

I scream, shaking the liquid from my hand. The palm of my hand is bright red.

"It's acid!" Aurora blurts out, grabbing me by the arm. "We need to get into the lake!"

I drop my spear, plunging into the ice-cold water of the lake. I hold Aurora as tight as I can as we tread water, our heads ducked under the hoods of our jackets.

Aurora is panting, both from exhaustion and from fear. I allow her to hold onto me as I stay afloat for both of us, but it starts to take a toll as my legs burn from exertion. I can't stop, though. The acid rain is still pouring over us. Small droplets bounce up from the surface of the lake onto my face, and I can feel a slight burning sensation across my face from the tiny specks.

My entire body goes numb from the frigid lake water, and I have to dip my face in the water to relieve the burning sensation of the acid. The only thing keeping me going is the feeling of Aurora tightly gripping my arm.

I start panting. I'm a strong swimmer, but I can only keep the both of us afloat for so long. I start to see stars, and I let out a strangled scream as I almost sink under the surface of the lake. Luckily, Aurora is able to use her own strength to pull both of us back up.

Is this how I'm going to die? After working at a dock my whole life, I can't let myself drown. The Gamemakers just want a good show.

"I don't know if I can do this any longer," I pant to Aurora. She's let go of me now, but she holds onto my arm and tries to carry me above the surface.

"You have to," she begs. "For me. Keep pushing. We're almost there."

I look up at her. She's soaked with water from the lake, and her face is red from the acid. She's panting heavily and looks as defeated as I feel. It breaks my heart to see her so destroyed, and I feel a burst of energy, allowing me to keep myself afloat for just a few more minutes, just a few more seconds, a few more moments, please...

Then, silence. Just as abruptly as the rain arrived, it disappears over the lake, leaving the area eerily quiet. I let go of Aurora, gasping for breath as I allow myself to lay on my back and float on the water. After a few seconds, Aurora grabs my shoulder and swims to the shore, towing me behind her.

I can't help but let out a sob as we reach the shore. I never thought I would feel solid ground again, but we made it. We're still here.

"You saved us," Aurora says heavily, embracing me tightly. I sink my head into her shoulder, still crying. I'm so emotional. I came so close to dying, and Aurora wouldn't have lasted much longer than me. But I'm still here. I'm still fighting after everything the Gamemakers have put me through.

Now I'm determined. There are only six of us left. Aurora and I have survived - together - everything that's been thrown at us.

I'm a survivor. And I'll fight until the very end, or I'll die trying. For all the other kids who aren't still alive. For my family and everyone back home. And for Aurora, who will emerge the Victor when the dust settles.