Smoking

Smoking. It has been his habit ever since the first time she saw him at the rooftop, slouching against the wall with a puff in his mouth. Inhaling the cancer stick as if his life depends on it. Evidence of ashes on the floor shows he's been doing it for a while.

"You want some?" He asked while offering a stick of cigarette.

"I don't smoke. What makes you think I smoke?" She said,

"People always come here to smoke."

...

Weeks passed by after the both of them encountered each other at the rooftop. Now it has become a little routine for them to occasionally meet each other here whether it be on recess, after school to study or even skipping some of their classes.

But one thing she couldn't understand, why would he always smoke. 'Does he not care about his lungs?' She thought. Flipping the notes she had written down during biology class.

Like usual, he was there too, smoking. He stared at her.

"You like biology? I've noticed that you were quite attentive taking notes during the class." He peeks on her colourful notes.

"Yeah, it's interesting to learn I guess."

"Read it for me." he requested.

"Why would i-"

Before she could answer, he puts his head on her lap and closes his eyes.

"Read."

...

Today too, flipping notes while enjoying the breezes. The difference here is that he doesn't smoke. Did he quit smoking? This fast? Curious you may say,

"You didn't smoke today. Did you decide to quit smoking?" her mouth speaks but her eyes were still on the notes,

"I ran out of puffs." He answered nonchalantly.

She replied, "You should stop though, it's bad for your lungs. You're still young. Sooner or later it's going to kill you."

He stares at her. Long deep stare, thinking, is he getting mocked at? Why would she care about him?

"It's not like anyone care about me."
He shrugs.

'I do.'

...

The cafeteria was packed as usual. Thank God she stopped by the convenience store yesterday to buy her favourite lollipop. Lollipops remind her of him.

She offered him a lollipop.

'What is this for?' he asked and again, with a cigarette on his lip.

'Instead of sucking onto that, you can suck on these.' She answered happily

'You don't understand don't you.' He chuckled.

'I'm addicted to these.' Handwaving a half-empty cigarette box.

'I can't just quit like that. Lollipops? Those are for kids.'

Addicted. He's addicted to it.

...

Both of them leaning against the wall, sitting side by side, eyes bore into the sky. No words are spoken. Just the two of them. Of course, he was smoking. She turns her face to him. Staring at his mouth. Addicted huh?. He noticed,

"What?" He asked

"Nothing, I was just thinking about things." She was still looking at him.

"And that involves my face?"

She didn't answer but her hands did. She snatched his cigarette and throw it away.

"What the fuck are you doing?" 

"Do you believe me?" She asked, she leans closer

"Huh.?"

"Do you believe me if I say, I can make you addicted to something else than smoking?" She leans closer, hands brushing his lips.

"I don't-"

She puts their lips together. The taste of her strawberry lip balm and the cigarette mingle creating a new flavour. It was sweet and bitter. She pulls him closer and he too responded to her request.

Maybe this could be his new addiction.