Mutual

Kicking off her shoes away while trying not to drop the groceries she bought from the store before coming here. The place that feels like home. "That's a lot." He chuckles looking at her full hands.

"Well, help me out then." She responded, smiling. Carrying everything to the kitchen and drops it on the counter. Today they promised to bake cookies. Not for any special occasion though, just an excuse to spend more time together.

The kitchen soon smells like a mixture of vanilla and coffee. Here they are side by side mixing the ingredients. Jokes and laughter fill in their space. He smears icing on her cheeks. Earning a slap on his shoulder.

Sometimes their side's touching each other when they try to take something, to put the cookie batter onto the baking sheet or just, on purpose. She sets the timer and says "Now we put it in the oven and wait."

•••

"Now what?" He asked. "How about I wash the dishes and you go wipe the counter?" He nods. "Done." He said. He looks at her, waiting for her to finish. "Well you can wait in the living room. I'll come later."

Without answering he walks and stand behind her. "I'll wait here with you." He leans over her shoulder. Taking a glance at her side profiles.

Her face heats up. This is embarrassing for her. The thought of him, standing behind her makes her nervous. She had imagined this situation many times in her head. The domestic feeling. She wants it where he back hugs her while she cooks, living together or even something more.

But she knows. They're only friends. "It's alright, go and wait on the couch. I'm not going anywhere." She chuckles. Stubborn as he is, he still stands behind her, humming and tapping his leg.

Him on the other hand is thinking about her. He stares at her figure imagine how her small body would fit perfectly in his arms. How her soft skin would feel under his fingertips. How her lips– no he can't. He felt so wrong imagining things that are impossible for him.

'If I just try and hug her, is that okay?' Nerve-wracking. He still wants to try and find out.

There she is, wondering what the hell is he doing behind her. She can't help it many thoughts are coming into her mind right now.

He goes closer to her and slowly snakes his hands around her waist and puts his head on her shoulder. Her body stiffened. "Is everything okay?" She asks while trying not to sound shaky. "You don't like it?" Disappointment in his voice. His hands start to loosen around her.

"No! I like it! I– mean, I don't hate it—. No, what I meant is-s.."
She's stuttering. He smiles and hugs her even closer. "I like it." She replies softly only for him to hear the answer. They sway side to side, enjoying the moment.

Leaning her back on his chest, she turns her head to get a better view of his face. Eyes meeting. Smiles formed. He turns her around without letting go. He looks deeply into her eyes as if he can find the answer to his questions.

Unintentionally his eyes drifting to her lips. She noticed that. His eyes when back to hers asking for permission. Hands slowly go around his neck playing with the end of his hair. Action speaks louder than words.

Both leaning in slowly, closing their eyes. Face on inches away from each other. One swift move, the space between them is gone. Suddenly the oven rings indicating that the cookies are ready.

They stop. Forehead touching. "The cookies are ready." Almost inaudible. She speaks and chuckles softly looking at their situation. " We better taste them shall we." They look at each other faces and laugh. She tiptoes and pecks his cheeks before frees herself from his grip.

" Yeah, we better eat them before it gets too cold." He replies with a big smile on his face. Both never stopped smiling since then. They treasure this evening together with hot coffee, cookies and jokes without having to worry about anything. Knowing that the feelings are mutual.