After All This Time

She was pretty surprised when she realized she was completely fine.

Well, her neck was killing her, but that was mostly from the whiplash. She didn't get any serious injuries, just a few scratches. 

Oh, and she was upside down.

She tilted her head up (well, up for her) to the sidewalk above her, seeing that her windshield was completely shuddered to pieces.

She didn't even care, she just had to get to Asami.

She raised her hand, swatting away pieces of glass with it, clearing herself a place to put her palm on. Then she placed one arm there, holding her up, while the other went to unbuckle her seatbelt.

She really thought she could hold herself up with one hand, and though it did soften the blow, she still fell head first into the ground and a bunch of glass.

Korra felt her eyebrow splitting, she felt blood dripping on her face, but she didn't feel any pain. And with that pump of adrenaline, she managed to get herself on her elbows and start dragging herself out the car, getting a few scratches on the way.

"Oh my God!" Someone exclaimed when she finally managed to get out, a male. He ducked down, offering her a hand to get up, one that she took. "I'm so sorry! It was dark and you were driving really fast a-and I didn't see you!"

Korra shrugged, because she simply did not care, she just brushed shards of glass away from her clothes and wiped blood away from her eye.

"Fuck, wait a second I'm gonna call you an ambulance." He said, raising his phone.

"Nah," Korra waved him off, "I'm good, I'm going to the hospital anyways so don't bother."

"Um... how do you plan on getting there?"

"If I run it'll take me ten minutes," Korra said, getting herself in position and ready to sprint, "the ambulance will take at least ten minutes just to get here and I'm in a hurry."

"You're insane!"

"Maybe," she took in a deep breath, and without further ado, started running.

"Wait! Shouldn't we exchange details?" He called after her. "Shouldn't you notify your family?"

She stopped at that, because he kind of had a point there. She jogged back, getting on the ground again and pulling her shattered phone outside of her smashed car, and thankfully when she tried turning it on, it worked.

"Here." She unlocked the phone and threw it to the shocked man standing there, gaping. "Call my dad, notify him, exchange details, whatever. I gotta go."

And this time when she ran off, she didn't look back or listen to him when he called after her.

Was there a really good chance that this man would just steal her phone? Yes, and under any other circumstances Korra wouldn't have given it to him, but right now Asami needed her. And Korra would be damned if she just let a mild car accident stop her.

___________

Asami's head hurt like hell.

She could vaguely hear people talking, but couldn't really make out what they were saying. In fact, it took everything from her to focus on being awake.

What happened? Where was she?

Slowly, she drifted back to consciousness, starting to understand what they were saying.

"What the fuck took you so long?"

A heaving voice replied. "I... had to run all the way here... from my car..."

Korra...

Oh, they... fought, didn't they?

And then... what then?

How did she get here? Where even was she?

She opened her eyes, wincing at the bright light, blinking rapidly to adjust to it.

"Asami!" Korra called out, grabbing her hand. "You're okay baby? How are you feeling?"

Asami's free hand went to her forehead immediately. "Keep it down." She complained, breathing in heavily. "My head hurts like hell."

"Sorry, sorry," she pursed her lips together in worry, thumb stroking Asami's knuckles, "do you... do you know who I am?"

Okay, this explained the headache. She must've hit her head or something. She should probably tell Korra that she knew who she was and that everything was fine, but...

...But Asami saw an opportunity to fuck with her, and even now she would never say no to it.

"You're Korra," she said, trying to appear as if she had to think about it. "We take math together... right?"

She had never seen Korra go this pale.

"Kidding," she grinned, "gotcha."

"Holy shit," Korra said, placing a hand on her chest, "you're in a fucking hospital bed and you still feel the need to prank me? Mean."

Asami's smile dropped. "I'm in a hospital?"

"You have a concussion," Kuvira said, huh, Kuvira was also in the room, "do you remember what happened?"

"I..." she tried to remember, but then she noticed something that distracted her. "You're bleeding..."

Korra smiled weakly, wiping away blood from her forehead. "I was in a minor car accident, don't worry about it."

"How minor?" Asami asked, worried.

"Well, my car did a whole ass flip and might be a total loss," she admitted, "but these are just scratches from when I crawled out of my upside down car."

"Jesus..." Kuvira muttered. "How did you even get here?"

"I ran," Korra shrugged.

Asami pursed her lips together in worry. "You promise to get yourself checked out?"

"Mm? Oh, for sure," Korra smiled, "I just... had to get here first. I had to be here with you."

"So you're not still mad at me?" Asami half whispered, her voice so weak it broke.

Korra's smile faded a little, and a sigh left her mouth. Her thumb stopping its movement across Asami's hand.

"I'm not mad at you, I wasn't actually mad at you," Korra mumbled, "I was just upset, and when I'm upset I have trouble regulating my emotions... I'm sorry baby."

"I'm sorry too," Asami said tiredly yet sincerely, "I never meant for any of it to happen.... I swear..."

"I know sweetheart, I know..." Korra brought Asami's hand to her mouth and kissed it lightly. "We'll talk about it some other time, you should rest right now."

"Can you try to remember what happened?" Kuvira asked, kneeling down next to Asami's head. "The police will want to talk to you soon. I already talked to them."

"I..." Asami clenched her eyebrows, trying to think past her headache. "We were talking in the group... then Kuvira and I were smoking together..."

Korra shot an accusing look at Kuvira, who in response just shrugged. 

"Your girlfriend suggested, I'm not one to pass over on a smoking buddy." She defended herself. 

"If said girlfriend gets lung cancer and dies I'm killing you and then myself," Korra warned sternly.

"Sheesh, can you get any more dramatic?" Kuvira rolled her eyes. 

"That's my girlfriend for you," Asami chuckled, then winced from the pain in her head "ow..."

"You should rest Sami," Korra said, stroking her pale cheek, "you must be so tired."

Asami was just about to answer, to tell Korra that yes, she is tired, tired like she had never been in her life. But before she even got the chance, someone knocked on the door. 

Kuvira answered it, straighting (as in straightening her back, there was no cure to how gay Kuv was) herself when cheif Beifong stepped in. Asami wasn't really surprised that she was part of this investigation, she and Beifong worked together a lot before and during the trial, and it only got slightly awkward when Korra referred to Beifong as a 'milf' without knowing that she can hear what they say in the interrogation room (meaning– very awkward for Korra, hilarious for Asami). Chief Beifong wanted justice for Asami, and was determined to bring Hiroshi down. Asami greatly appreciated that, there weren't that many people she actually felt like they were fighting for her, even now with the protests and the ban on Future Industries most people were fighting for the idea of what happened rather than Asami herself, so Lin had a special place in Asami's heart.

"I'd like to speak with Miss Ai alone," she said in her formal on-duty tone, looking at Korra who was grinning at her nervously. 

"H-hey chief!" Korra stuttered with a nervous chuckle. "It's uh... so good to see–"

"Alone with Asami," Beifong emphasized, unphased.

"Right!" Korra called out, kissing Asami's cheek. "Hang in there love, I'm just outside." She told Asami, fast walking and grabbing Kuvira by her hand, dragging them both out of the room.

The moment they left, Beifong's lips spread into a smile, something that was very startling. Seriously. Asami was pretty sure that's the first time she has ever seen her smile.

She then clicked her fingers, and an officer gave her a sheet of paper.

"A written confession by Hiroshi Sato," she announced, waving the papers in the air, "and at least five witnesses who saw him attack you."

Asami blinked in utter shock and confusion. "So..?"

"So we got him," she said decisively, "we did it kid."