Prologue

Prologue:

"Lia, run!"

Not even pausing for a second, she took off down the alleyway, clutching her baby to her chest. Her husband stayed close behind her, occasionally casting backward glances at the Sentinels behind them. Lia didn't dare look back. She did her best to shut out the loud sounds of gunshots and yelling and kept on running. The whole world seemed to falling into ruins all around her. Pained screams ripped through her ears and tried to force bloody, horrid images into her mind. Buildings crashed down around her, throwing dirt and soot into her face and covering her in filth. She fiercely pushed her dark hair away from her face and kept on going. The border appeared in their view, merely a few meters away. Her legs ached and her lungs were on fire, but she did not care. This pain would fade. The pain would not end if they did not make it out now. The baby in her arms began to whimper slightly, and the child's hands gripped onto her mother's shirt.

"Shh, darling. We're almost there," Lia whispered.

The couple arrived at the border and immediately searched for a damaged section. Lia's dark eyes darted around quickly, trying to locate an exit as quickly as possible. The voices and footsteps of the Sentinels behind them grew closer, and they could see the light from the soldiers' flashlights consuming the darkness that cloaked them. Finally, she laid eyes on a gap in the fence that had been torn open, likely by some other person seeking to escape. She beckoned for her husband to follow her and they knelt down to squeeze through the opening.

"You go first," the man urged. "Hurry!"

Still holding her baby tightly, Lia crawled through the hole. The jagged metal got into her skin and blood trickled down her arms and body, but she bit her lip harshly and ignored it. She shielded her baby with her own body, refusing to let a single metal barb touch her child. She was nearly completely through when she heard a bang and a shout of pain from her husband. Unable to help herself, she looked back to see. One of the Sentinels had shot him. He was severely, probably fatally, injured but not dead yet. His chest heaved as his breathing became ragged.

"Jace!" she screamed.

"Go, get out!" he yelled in response. "Save yourself!"

Tears began to stream down her cheeks, mixing with the blood and sweat already coating her face. Knowing that there was nothing she could do for him, she forced her way through the fence some more. Suddenly, a hand latched onto her ankle. She screamed and tried to kick the hand away, but it kept a death grip on her. She was roughly pulled back, the fence wires opening new wounds in her flesh. The Sentinel gave a sharp twist to her ankle, and a sickening crack rang out. Immediately, a sharp pain shot up her entire leg. She could not move, much less run. The Sentinels trained their guns on her and her dying husband, ready to shoot. But they paused at the sound of a strong, commanding voice approaching. They withdrew and stood at attention as their commanding officer walked into view. Lia sucked in a sharp breath when she saw the approaching man. He was tall and muscular, with dark hair and even darker eyes. His lips were curled into a mocking sneer, and a scar tore through the left side of his face.

"Well, well," he spoke, crouching down to get to their level. "We meet again Jace and Lia. What a pleasant surprise."

The baby in Lia's arms began to wail loudly. The scar faced man turned his eyes to the infant and a sickening smile grew on his face.

"Take the child..." he said, his voice like poison seeping into her blood.

The soldier moved to take the baby from Lia's arms, but she instinctively turned away. However, she could not fend off the Sentinels and her baby was ripped from her arms. She lay on the ground, crying and shaking from both fear and anguish.

"Please, Sarin," she begged, her voice weak and pitiful. "Please don't hurt her."

Sarin smirked. Taking her chin roughly in his hand, he forced her to look him in the eye. "Oh," he answered, his hot breath brushing her face. "I won't hurt the child. After all, it is an innocent creature that has done no wrong." He emphasized the word "innocent," the very thing that he was not. Sarin paused for a moment. "But you and Jace on the other hand...you are guilty of various offenses that must be met with punishment."

His dark eyes turned to the bleeding Jace. "Jace Lowell. Guilty of countless offenses against the government including, but not limited to, theft, arson, assault and battery, and even murder of government officials. These crimes are punishable by death."

Lia's heart dropped. "No, please."

"What are you going to do about it?" he sneered.

"You and Jace were friends. Please don't do this."

"He ended that friendship long ago. And now you want it back because I hold the power?"

Lia did not reply to this, making Sarin laugh. He moved away from Lia and turned to her husband. Sarin grabbed Jace roughly by the hair and forced his head up. The man drew a wicked looking blade from his belt. He forced Lia and Jace to look at each other as he held the knife to his former friend's throat.

"Any last words to say to your wife, Jace?"

Lia's brown eyes met the deep hazel eyes of the love of her life. Tears ran down both of their faces. They knew what was coming next and knew there was nothing they could do about it.

"I love you," he whispered. "So much."

Lia shut her eyes as soon as the first drops of blood appeared on Jace's neck. She heard the slice of the blade and the thump of a body falling to the ground. She didn't dare open her eyes and instead wrapped her arms around herself, sobbing. Her heart felt like it had been ripped out of her chest. She couldn't breathe, she couldn't think. She heard Sarin's footsteps approach her, but she did not move.

"Lia Lowell," he spoke slowly, as if he was savoring the words in his mouth. "Guilty of numerous offenses again the government including but not limited to—"

"Just kill me already," she interrupted, her voice harsh.

Sarin laughed. "Oh my dear Lia. Unfortunately, your offenses are not grave enough for death. More fitting punishments will be given to you."

Her eyes widened. "What will you do?"

Sarin didn't answer. Instead, he motioned to the Sentinels who grabbed Lia roughly and began to drag her away. Her fearful eyes shot everywhere, trying to process everything. The Sentinel holding her baby approached Sarin. Lia struggled to hear what he had to say.

"What do I do with the baby, sir?"

Sarin's eyes met Lia's and he smiled. "Put her in the Home. They will raise her there and teach her not to defy the government like her parents foolishly chose to do."

And that was the last thing Lia saw before her vision clouded over and darkness consumed her, leaving the fate of her and her baby unknown and uncertain.