Chapter 29

Calix hit the punching bag repeatedly, muscles flexing and sweat rolling down his face. The room was silent aside from the dull thumps from his punches, the steady rhythm oddly calming to him. They were leaving for the mission tonight, and his stomach was already tight with anticipation of actually going out in the field for the first time in a while. His job wasn't complicated—just find Julia and protect her at all costs. It seemed pretty straightforward, but it was much easier said than done. If even just one group of Sentinels found them, the chances of all of them making it out alive were slim to none. Sure, they had escaped Sentinels before, but the stakes would probably be much higher with Julia involved. If it came down to it, would he be willing to die to ensure her survival? He shook his head, stopping the punching bag with his hand and leaning his forehead against it. Thinking like that would do him no good. If he had doubts, he should've just let someone else go.

Luckily, the sound of the door opening pulled him out of his dark thoughts and back into the present moment. Looking over, his eyes fell on a familiar stocky, blue-eyed girl entering the room. Her tough arms were crossed over her chest with her sleeveless top revealing the crude tattoos marking her fair skin.

"Hey, Akilah," he greeted, offering her a slight smile.

She nodded in return, stepping deeper into the room and shutting the door behind her. "Training?"

"Yeah," he replied, backing away from the punching bag and grabbing a towel from the bench. "It's not like I need it though since we're basically just taking an extended road trip."

Akilah let out a soft chuckle. "It never hurts to prepare."

Calix ran the towel over his skin, clearing some of the sweat off. "Did you need to talk to me about something?"

"Kind of. But also I just thought I'd check up on you."

He hummed in response, picking up his water bottle to take a drink. "Are you worried about today?"

She frowned, settling down on one of the benches. "Are you?"

"Maybe a little. I mean, it's not like we're the most skilled Insurgents out there."

"Very true. But I'm more concerned about the person we're picking up to be honest."

Calix paused, glancing over at her. "What do you mean?"

"You heard Clovis. She's supposedly 'difficult to work with.' I don't know what the hell that's supposed to mean, but it can't be anything good."

"I mean, I don't think she'll be that bad. Maybe just a little curt or something."

She shrugged. "I do hope so."

Running a hand through his hair, he took a seat next to her on the bench. "I wouldn't worry if I were you. Clovis tends to make things a bigger deal than they actually are," he assured.

"Yeah, I don't even know why that of all things is the one to get to me. Something just feels a bit off, I guess, but I'm probably overreacting."

Calix shrugged. "You're usually very level headed, so I wouldn't totally write it off."

"Maybe. For all of our sakes though, I hope I'm wrong."

"You're not thinking of backing out are you?"

"Oh, definitely not. It's probably too late for that now anyway."

Calix laughed slightly. "Good. 'Cause I don't know what I'd do if you abandoned me like that."

Akilah snorted. "If you're going, I'm going. We just have to watch each other's backs, you know? In case anything happens."

"Yeah, I know. That's what teammates are for."