Chapter 10

She awoke with a start as the vehicle hit a bump in the road, opening her eyes to pitch black darkness. Forgetting where she was or what happened for a moment, she attempted to push her hair away from her face, but found that her hands were bound securely behind her back. Panic began to consume her, and she futilely struggled against her restraints while attempting to peer through the darkness. She could discern the shape of another figure opposite of her, though whoever it was didn't appear to be conscious. They appeared to be alone, but she was unsure if that was something she should be pleased about. Glancing around warily, she pulled herself up into a kneeling position, and by scooting around on her knees, she discovered that she could feel the walls of the space she was in without having to move around much.

The sound of close gunshots startled her, and she instinctively braced, even though deep inside she knew there was nothing she could possibly do to defend herself. The shots were sporadic and occasionally she'd hear a yell coming from the outside. The vehicle she was in seemed to speed up, and her fingers grasped onto whatever little crevice she could find in order to steady herself, trying her best not to imagine what horrors could be going on. Eventually the noises died down, leaving her listening to the rough sound of tires bumping over uneven terrain. She shifted uncomfortably, trying to find a better position to sit while wondering how much farther they would be traveling. Her memory was coming back more clearly now, and the realization that she was in the hands of the Insurgents caused frightening thoughts to seize her mind. Why did they take her? What did they want with her? What were they going to do? She bit her lip harshly, trying to stifle a sob.

She sound of a person groaning across from her grabbed her attention. Her eyes fixed on the figure, fearfully waiting for them to make a move. The person sat up and, similar to her, seemed to panic and struggle against their bonds. She figured it was another prisoner, and mustered up the courage to speak up.

"It's futile," she spoke softly. "We're stuck here."

The person across stilled, appearing to stare at her intently. "12505A?"

She recognized the voice. "101505B," she said, partially relieved.

"Where are we?" the other girl asked groggily, still coming to her senses. "Why are we tied up?"

"I believe the Insurgents took us. I don't know where though."

"How...how is that possible?" An intense fear slowly seemed to fill the other girl, matching hers. "No no no no, we can't...they can't...no...."

"I know," she replied, her voice shaking. "What...what's the last thing you remember?"

101505B sighed. "I remember...being alone in the room when you were out doing the chores. I went through the whole routine and I was about to settle into bed when—"

"Someone attacked you?"

"Yes," she said slowly. "I don't know who it was or where they came from, but I guess they knocked me out somehow."

12505A nodded. "Basically the same happened to me."

A brief silence hung between the two girls.

"What's going to happen to us?" 101505B asked quietly.

She did not respond and the question hung in the air between them, suspended by the invisible strings of their fears and worries. She figured she ought to give the other girl some sort of comfort, yet she did not know how. It would be useless to fill their minds with empty promises like, "we're going to be okay." No good things seemed to lay on the foggy road ahead of them.

***

The vehicle came to an abrupt stop, causing her to crash into the back wall. She detected voices coming from the outside along with clanking metallic sounds. Suddenly, a bright light filled the space, disorienting them both. Before she could react, rough hands grabbed her and hoisted her up and out of the vehicle. She squinted against the light, trying to get a bearing of her surroundings. Whoever grabbed her threw her and the other girl to the ground roughly, and she heard a rough voice exclaim, "Look what we brought back" in a sing-song sort of tone.