Chapter 17

"You did what?" Clovis demanded angrily, slamming his fist on the desk. Calix and Akilah subconsciously flinched in their seats at the sudden outburst, but Kairo only glared back fiercely, pressing his nails to his palms. He was expecting this type of reaction, but that didn't mean he necessarily agreed with it.

"Clovis, we had no other options. Either way they would've known we were there."

"Allowing the random Scrounger to throw out possibly unfounded claims still would've been better than engaging them like that. And on top of everything, not one, but two of your team sustained significant injuries. Akilah, I expected better than this."

"My apologies. I won't happen again—"

"Shut it," Kairo interrupted, throwing a glance at the dark haired girl and rising to his feet. "It was my fault."

"Me too," Calix added quickly. "We didn't listen to what she told us."

"And why not?"

"Because we wanted to find out more," Kairo explained. "We all know that government has been cracking down on us recently, as seen with the base in the Northern Sector being discovered and overrun. They're following every little lead they can gather up, and it seems that they're offering quote unquote 'lenient' treatment to those who can provide any sort of info about us. Things aren't looking good."

Clovis leaned back in his seat, his rage not subsiding and an angry look remaining on his face, his eyebrows knitting together and his mouth curved into a deep frown. "You sure didn't help the situation then."

"To hell with that," Kairo burst out, ignoring the warning looks thrown at him by the members of his team. "Can't you see that we could be next? That one day, they'll find us hiding here and attack when we least expect it? What will we do then? How many lives are we going to risk? How long—"

"Enough!"

"—before we're all killed or captured and tortured to death?"

"I said, enough!"

Kairo clenched his jaw. "So what are we going to do about it?"

"That is none of your concern at the moment. We will let you know when we've decided our course of action, once Julia arrives."

"Oh, you're just gonna discuss it in a committee again? When's the last time that worked?"

"That is not up to you to decide."

"And how do you know Julia is even coming? She could've been killed already and you wouldn't even know."

"Kairo!" Clovis bellowed, rising to his feet and looking the younger boy dead in the eye. "I will not tolerate this kind of behavior!"

"And what are you going to do about it, hm?" Kairo challenged, placing his hands on the desk and leaning forward, not breaking eye contact. "Punish me?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. For here on, you are forbidden to go out on any scavenging missions, much less step foot outside, until you clean up your attitude. You will be subject to the commands of all the others, even your colleagues and subordinates, and must do whatever they tell you to. I've tolerated this for far too long, and it's about time you were taken down a rung."

Kairo rolled his eyes. "Oh, dear, I'm so sad now."

"Keep this up, and I will not hesitate to have you thrown out."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Do you want to test me?" Clovis sneered, harshness wrapping around each syllable of his words and making Kairo falter slightly. He hesitated briefly, allowing the words sink in for a moment, making his blood run cold. Before he could say something he would regret, Kairo was yanked back roughly, stumbling over himself and falling back into his seat.