• becoming acquainted..

• excuse any errors

DISCLAIMER: This story will be based on true events as well as FICTIONAL events. Most events will be fictional, or a blend of fictional & real.

SN: These are one-shots related to Karen & Drew's story in AHTQ! Definitely check it out if you haven't already!

•••••

June 1978

"Lord, when I pray, give me what to say," A cloud of harmonies surrounded Bailey Temple's choir stand. The four sisters stood side by side. Jacky, Denise, Dorinda, & Karen. Twinkie on the organ.

Their mother, Mattie, stood in silence. Listening out & making sure each sister had their part down pact. They were to sound as one. &, if they didn't, they would practice over & over. One thing they knew for sure, was that Mattie did not play!

"Yes, yes Lord," The sisters ended the song out.

They all stood in silence, waiting for their mother's reaction. This was a newer song & they cared a lot about their mother's feedback. But, they also knew that they had two choices; To have it together, or Mattie would work them until they got it together.

"Well, mama what you think?" Twinkie spoke, nervously.

Mattie looked at each of them before speaking, " Y'all sound good. The blend, the harmony. Y'all sound as one & that's exactly what I want to hear!"

"Yes ma'am," All of the sisters smiled in unison.

"Ma, are we done so can we go shopping now?" Denise questioned, as they came out of the pulpit.

"Yeah, y'all go ahead," Mattie smiled.

Denise smiled, kissing her mother on the cheek, "C'mon here, girl!" She spoke walking ahead of Jacky.

Jacky shook her head & giggled, "Love you mama," She kissed her mother's head before walking out behind Denise.

"Now, what're you girls gon' do?" Mattie chuckled, turning to Dorinda & Karen. Twinkie began preparing her music sheets for the choir rehearsal that was about to begin soon.

"We'll go hang at the skating rink for a few," Dorinda spoke, "Is that cool with you, K?"

Karen nodded her head yes, cause Mattie to pop her.

"What I tell you 'bout speaking up, girl?" Mattie fussed, looking at Karen.

"Yes, that's fine with me," Karen giggled lightly. She often had issues with speaking up for even the simplest things. She was too shy & sweet for her own good sometimes.

"Alright, well y'all do what y'all do. Me & Twink finna run through a couple of these songs with the choir," Mattie spoke as members of the choir began to enter the church.

"C'mon," Dorinda grabbed Karen's hand as they walked outside of the church.

They walked out being hit with a warm summer breeze. Crossing the street, they made their way to the church parking lot in Dorinda's car.