20. ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ sʜɪᴇʟᴅ

"John, you're dangerous."

Thalia, Sam, and Bucky all followed John into a warehouse and quietly slipped in, they spotted John crouched on the ground with the shield in front of him

He slowly looks up, "Time to go to work", he muttered making Thalia narrow her eyes at him. He started walking towards the trio and Sam spoke in a warning tone, "Walker."

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good", he suggested to them as he paced in front of the group.

Sam looked at him seriously, "Stop, Walker."

He looked at them with anger, "What? You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!"

"He didn't kill Lemar, John", Sam said softly and calmly but John just scoffed.

"Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well", Bucky said as Thalia nodded in agreement.

"I'm not like you", John spat at him.

Sam took a step towards John, "Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record. We don't want anyone else to get hurt."

The man's blood dripped down one part of the shield, splattered from the red onto the white. John faced the floor still holding the shield at his side.

"John...", Sam trailed off as silence engulfed them, "You gotta give me the shield, man."

John slowly looked up at Sam, "Oh, so that's what this is. You almost got me."

Thalia stepped in front of the boys, "John, you're dangerous. You gotta give us the shield.... or we'll take it", as she said this John looked at her with a psychotic glint in his eyes.

"You don't wanna do this", John's voice was quiet yet seemingly loud at the same time.

Silence came to hug them each like a friend again before someone spoke, "Yeah, we do", it was Bucky.

John looked at him, the two of them and Sam running at each other. Sam got kicked back by John, and Bucky was punched backward to the floor.

John stalked towards Bucky on the ground, lifted the shield, and was ready to bring it down on his head but Thalia kicked John away.

John came running back and rammed the shield into her chest but she pushed it back to him, making him trip over his own feet. His arms went out beside him and she grabbed a knife and swiped it in front of her, still moving closer to him and managing to catch his arm a couple of times.

Then he swung the shield with all his might and caught her cheek with the rim. She could feel her skin open as the metal met it. She stumbled back in pain and anger.

Meanwhile, Sam had gathered himself and attack John again as the man tried to hit Bucky who still laid on the ground. Sam then drove out his wings and punched John with them.

The man blocked the attack but Bucky got up onto his feet and attacked him as well. John hit Sam hardly, making him fall to the ground.

Bucky punched against John's shield multiple times and Thalia shot his leg while also trying to get the shield. The three of them had a firm grip on the shield and the look on John's face was murderous.

Bucky got hit time and time again, giving John time to move back onto Sam. Once again getting Sam knocked to the floor, John moved onto Thalia as she stood with a vibranium katana in her hand, a gift from T'Challa.

Readying it in her hand as he neared, the two fought miraculously against each other but unfortunately, John threw Thalia through the brick wall and knocked her out.

꧁꧂

When she opened her eyes again she saw Sam and Bucky working together, pulling the shield from John's arm and breaking it whilst doing so.

"It's mine", John grunted, standing again.

"It's over John", Sam told him, now holding the shield.

"SHUT UP, JACKASS!", Thalia yelled from where she was trying to stand up.

"It's mine", John swung at Bucky who grabbed his neck and punch him solidly in the face.

Bucky then lifted John up, and Sam ran at him with the shield whilst Bucky threw John into it which ended with the three of them laying on the floor, with John half out of it.

Bucky stood, picking up the shield but dropped it beside Sam who still laid on the ground before walking away from him and toward Thalia who was leaning against a wall looking very beat up.

"Come on, Lia", Bucky said as he picked her up with ease, and she wrapped her arms around his neck and legs around his waist. It was a piggyback ride but with the front of their bodies facing each other.

"I'm tired as hell, Buck", she mumbled into his neck as she could feel herself slipping into the darkness.

"I know doll, I know, but we have to get to the hall where Donya's funeral was at", he said as he adjusted his grip on her.

"Yeah", she sighed, "You know, I, um-, tried not to lose myself into the fight. God knows what would've happened if I did.... I'm scared I'm gonna lose myself again", she said getting choked up, and was currently glad he couldn't see her face.

"Hey, hey, listen to me, if anyone can make it out of hell, it's you. You will not lose yourself. I promise you", he said and gripped her tighter.

"But if I do-", she tried to say but was cut off.

"Then I'll be right by your side to help you through it. I promise, okay?"

"Okay."

And so they just continued the rest of their walk in silence letting the comfortable breeze greet them with kindness and the sun shine brightly on them.

A/N: once again I am terribly sorry that this chapter is late, I have exams this week so it's a little hard to write but I'm trying to make it work.

⚠️Also please let me know if you want me to make future stories so I can get started!!!⚠️