one

The one about the sailors coming home.

The announcement for the third quarter quell was made on a regular day.

Just like any other day, Alivia was doing the dishes in Mags' house. It was Sunday and she was terribly distracted.

Outside, a thunderstorm hurried everybody into their houses. That should've been enough warning of what was to come but Alivia dismissed it as bad weather.

Mags was busy on her own, checking the oven before she tuned in for the Capitol's Announcement. Alivia kept humming a lullaby; one that her mother always used to sing, the one about the sailors coming home.

As she said, she had been distracted.

There was a moment when Alivia felt like the whole world stopped. She turned around, hoping to have misheard. But Mags was looking right back at her with nothing but worry in her face. Alivia swallowed thickly, suddenly too grossed out by the dirty dishes she was staring at.

Everything carried on in complete silence. None of them said a thing when the food was ready or when they set the table, not even when they finally sat down to eat. Alivia ate slowly, picking bits and pieces but not really savoring anything.

Mags seemed unbothered, weirdly unbothered for the news they just received. Alivia watched the only other female tribute available for the quarter quell eat in front of her. How unfortunate to say that Mags could think the exact same thing.

"Mags," she called out loud.

The fond smile that Mags offered did not give her any reassurance. Her heart picked a faster pace as she spoke.

"I think we need to talk about it," she breathed deeply. "We know what needs to be done."

To that, Mags nodded effusively as she continued eating. Alivia's brows furrowed. "You know, somehow, I don't think we have the same thing in mind."

Mags tried to dismiss it again. She could be pretty stubborn sometimes.

"It has to be me, Mags. I am going to the games."

And to that, Mags finally set her fork down. She shook her head once with determination. "This is not up to discussion," Mags said. "The odds will pick the tribute meant to go."

"Well, can you promise me you won't volunteer in case I'm the chosen one?"

"You have a whole life ahead of you," she exclaimed instead. "I'm old, I've lived enough."

"You didn't answer my question."

Mags huffed in frustration, her appetite was gone. Alivia would never dare to continue in normal circumstances but this was something she was simply not going to back off from.

"Look, it's okay." Alivia lied through her teeth.

The lady stood up, taking none of it. Mags might just be her mentor but she knew very well when Alivia was lying to her.

"Mags," she tried pointlessly, watching as she left the room with a disappointed scowl.

Tears were threatening to come out as she held her face in her hands. This is not happening, this is not happening, she tried to convince herself. A thunder snapped her out of her loop and just then she noticed that someone was knocking on the door.