five

The idiocy of bravery.

Finnick had to admit he enjoyed this new situation he was in. It was far better than Capitol's business. He got to hang around and have some fun, instead of greedy hands and wondering what part of him they'll take this time.

He shook that thought right off. He didn't want to ruin his day, specially since it was just starting. I will enjoy every second I spend away from that damn place, he thought.

The door to Alivia's place was open, he was expected. He knocked twice regardless just to announce his arrival.

"Morning!" He almost sang. "How do we feel about pancakes? I woke up with a craving but I'm trying to look out for Mags' health."

Finnick made himself at home, Alivia's heart threatened to poke a hole in her chest in response. She agreed easily, having a more urgent question.

"Mags...?" Finnick sighed, Mags was a very stubborn woman. "She went to train on her own again?"

"Well, you know her. She wanted to take the kids to the beach. Now, I know what you are thinking but," he paused at Alivia's face, "I made her promise to not do anything she couldn't do."

Alivia raised her eyebrows skeptically.

"I know she thinks there's nothing she can't do so I told the kids to snitch everything, just in case."

"And you walked her there?" Finnick hummed as he mixed the batter. He seemed so satisfied with himself she doubted even interrupting. "You know, I can always just meet you there. It would be easier."

"Nonsense."

"Finnick," she called and his name sounded so weird in her mouth. "I'm completely fine with this being something strictly professional."

"Are you really?"

Alivia hesitated. "Yes?"

Finnick smirked. "Try again. Perhaps this time you can make it sound less like a question."

She mimicked an exasperated expression silently which made Finnick placed the batter down for a second.

He stared.

Alivia tried to ignore the gaze, Finnick waited patiently; he had no rush. Besides, she couldn't hold his eyes on her for too long.

"What?"

"I thought you said you liked me," Alivia nodded reluctantly. "I thought we already went through this. Why, do tell, do you want to keep me at an arm's length?"

As every word was spoken, the distance between them shortened. He had the nerve of licking his lips before continuing. "Do I make you nervous?"

She stuttered and not a single coherent word came out of her mouth until she moved away.

"There has to be better things you can do with your time."

"You are very dramatic," he enunciated. "That should mean something coming from me."

Finnick picked his batter, thinking the conversation was over. He realized he was wrong once he stole a glance at Alivia and could practically hear her thinking. He forgot sometimes that Alivia had lost everything but Mags when she was sixteen. He remembered how himself at fourteen needed guidance because all his social behaviors were replaced with everlasting guilt. He decided to intervene.