four

The ruins of what could've been.

Two cups of tea met Mags and Alivia, still steaming from the kettle Finnick had left for them. It smelled like conversation; Alivia knew it was an invitation.

It was a little after dinner and sleep was slowly calling her. But she and Mags hadn't talked in a while, and one couldn't ignore the little voice at the back of her head warning that she didn't have much time left with her.

"How was today? You came back all flustered."

"Oh." Alivia said. "It was fine. Just lots of heavy work."

Mags arched an eyebrow, a little smirk appearing on her face. Alivia sighed, plopping two sugar cubes into her tea, bracing herself to tell the old lady what happened.

The morning started with odd calmness, breakfast with Mags and a few laps around the beach. It was unexpected as all things with Finnick were.

"So, tell me about you," Finnick said way too casual over his lunch.

Getting caught off guard, Alivia stopped her fork midway as her mind went blank. A sudden sensation of panic rose up on her as she managed to say,"Like what?"

"Anything, I feel like we barely know each other."

She pressed her lips in a thin line, actually debating whether or not she should say anything. It would had been easier to refuse if Finnick hadn't been staring at her.

"Right. So, I'm twenty one," she started clumsily.

Finnick chuckled. "Well, yeah, I know that."

She huffed, fiddling with her fork. "I wasn't actually born in district 4. I know it's not supposed to be allowed but they thought my dad would be of more use at the sea than at a farm so they moved us here. Or at least that's what my mom used to say..."

Alivia forced herself to pause once she noticed she started rambling, feeling his gaze heavy on her. Deciding to cut short the conversation, she threw a couple random facts and hoped it was enough.

"I'm allergic to peas," Finnick snorted at the addition, "and Mags is my best friend."

Finnick kept silent, as if to encourage her to keep going. Staring like he wanted to—no, expected to learn something shocking about her. It was truly a shame that not a single thing came to mind.

Situations like this weren't a common thing to Alivia but to be fair, she kept her social interaction minimal.

She put her fork down, only to pick it up again. "Maybe you should just ask me what you want to know."

"What's your favorite color?"

The serious glare that Alivia shot at Finnick was received with a cheeky smile. He could be so insolent sometimes. Alongside a silent sigh, she said, "White. Yours?"

"White as well," he answered amused. "Look! We have something in common already."

Finnick could not possibly believe they could build up a conversation with those sort of silly questions.

"How come you never hang out with the other victors?"

If she kept sighing she was going to be out of breath soon. "It's complicated."

"You don't like other victors," Mags commented.

"Yeah, but I didn't felt like explaining that they don't like me either. It was very awkward," Alivia stressed, "taking into account that some of those people are his friends."