eleven

Let's hope curiosity isn't the death of you—of us.

"This is going to sound insane," Finnick started. "But I need you to bear with us."

Mags looked between both of the people that dragged her out of bed way too early, completely weirded out. Insane, Alivia wouldn't describe it any other way. And it all started the prior evening.

Alivia found herself walking to her bedroom after stopping by Mags'. She hadn't been there since morning so it was pitch black. Whoever thought of placing the light switch all the way across the room didn't think it through. She was taking careful steps, slowly recognizing her surroundings when the door creaked as if open but nobody announced themselves.

Alivia stood still for a second.

Alright Alivia, think. Who could be in your room at this hour? It can't be Mags, I left her asleep. Breathing softly, she followed the sound of footsteps and a soft hum. Without a second thought, she pushed the person over the bed–almost missing it– and held a hand down their neck. Good thing her right hand was looking for the light switch, otherwise she would've strangled who was revealed to be Finnick.

"It's safe to say you are well trained."

She backed away, completely flushed. "I'm sorry."

"No, I don't mind. I like being manhandled sometimes."

The humor in his voice did not budge Alivia's apologetic demeanor. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to hang out, I feel like we've barely spoken today." He shook a bowl of strawberries in her face. "Plus, I brought snacks."

Some of those flew by the moment she threw Finnick on the bed, so she bent down to pick them up.

"I would've announced myself but everything was so dark I thought you might not even be here. I was on my way to turn the light on."

"Yeah, so was I."

"So, now that we are talking, tell me why were you so shocked when I sat down with you at lunch?"

"I just didn't expect it." Like you, laying in my bed eating strawberries.

"Why not? We are friends." Alivia stood still, convincing herself she must've heard wrong. "Is everything okay?"

"Friends," she repeated.

"Yeah," he shrugged. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

Finnick bit into his strawberry mindlessly. Alivia should not find that as attractive as she did. Friends, yeah, she could work with that.

"No," she said softly as she bit into her own strawberry.

"Well, what do you think?"

"Of...?"

"Of today. Do you want some allies?"

"Not really."

"Oh, thank god. I was worrying I would have to act all buddy-buddy with them. I heard that the girl on fire was already picking allies, the rest were making such a fuss about it."

Finnick started slipping, hanging from the edge of the bed upside down.

"Hey, what did Gloss say to you?"

Alivia never got to answer, an avox was on the door interrupting with a knock. A sealed envelope rested on her hands. "It's addressed to both of us. Apparently there is some type of tribute meeting right now."

"Right now? Isn't it a little bit late?"

Sitting by a still upside down Finnick, she handed the paper. While he was reading, she observed how all his blood was going to his head, that shade of red was probably the closest thing to a blush she'd seen on him. Alivia shook her head, focus. "Well?"