Chapter 11, Part 1

A R I

"How did you manage to lose a three-legged tiger?"

Ari scowled. "This is serious."

Pythos Savvas was sitting on the back of his dragon, using his water magic to remove broken tree branches and leaves from the roof and gutters of the house. Ari was standing in the courtyard in the morning sunlight, looking up at him.

"Right, right," Savvas said, and his dragon lowered his head so he was able to jump down. "It's possible he got scared in the storm and ran. His wing was bandaged so it's unlikely he was able to fly, unless he was able to tear his bandages away. He can't have got far."

But Ari was tense with worry. The tiger was still recovering from his wound and his infection, and now he was in a whole new city.

"We'll find him," Savvas said. "I need to go into town to recruit for our next mission. You can come with me, and we'll look for Jinni."

Ari didn't have a better plan. She walked back through the grove of orange trees to the kinnhouse, because although she knew it was impossible that Jinni was still inside, she couldn't help but check again, as if the giant tiger would just magically show up.

She stood in the doorway, staring in the gloom of the kinnhouse. There was movement in there, and when Ari's eyes adjusted to the darkness she realised it was Sofia, exploring the loft.

"Sofia," Ari called out.

"Look what I found, Ari!"

Sofia jumped from the loft ladder and ran to Ari. She was holding up a pure white stone, but when Ari inspected it she realised it was flat like a coin. It wa heavy in her palm.

"Where did you find that?" came a deep voice.

Ari and Sofia both jumped. Olatuja had approached without making a noise, and he grabbed the white coin out of Ari's hand.

"What is it?" Ari asked.

"Listen close to me. Was it in this kinnhouse?" Olatuja asked.

Sofia nodded. "It was up in the loft."

Olatuja sucked in air through his teeth. "It's a White Dragon calling piece. When you owe the White Dragons money or taxes, they'll kidnap your family and leave this."

"Jinni," Ari said instantly. "The White Dragons have stolen Jinni."

"But the Dancer's Grove doesn't owe the White Dragons any money," Olatuja said. "Savvas has never been indebted to them."

"Well they've kidnapped Jinni, and we need to get him back," Ari said. "Where do we find them?"

Olatuja shook his head. "No, no," he said. "You're not going to the White Dragons. They're warlords. Criminals. They'll behead you, if you're lucky. String you up by your hands and feet if they're feeling particularly cruel. You're not going anywhere near them."

"But we need to get Jinni back," Ari snapped. "We can't leave him with warlords."

Olatuja was shaking his head when Savvas joined them in the kinnhouse. Unlike his husband, it was impossible to miss the Water Dancer approaching. His presence was like a stormcloud, casting a shadow over the three of them, even though he was shorter than Olatuja. His dark grey locs swung as he walked.

"What's this?" he said, and his eyes narrowed as he saw the white stone in Olatuja's hand, even as Olatuja clasped his hand shut to hide it.

"You're not going," Olatuja said quickly.