Chapter 38, Part 1

Sanna

There were too many people in the room but she had never felt more alone. This was the grandest room of the Vulfholm palace, which was full of very grand rooms, and yet the space seemed crowded now that Katja, Lumi and Tom had arrived. Sanna felt incredibly self-conscious now that they were here. She was standing between both of her parents, for the first time in her life, and she couldn't help but be aware of how that looked to everyone now.

Especially Ari, who was staring up at her from her seat on the beautiful creamy sofa. Ari was a blotch of anger against the sofa, and Sanna's gaze kept falling to her, caught up in the pull of her. Her curls growing in wild directions and her eyes full of pure betrayal. She was glaring at Sanna as if her gaze could maim. Sanna almost felt like it could.

Sanna understood. Ari thought that Sanna had betrayed her again.

But Sanna knew that she wanted nothing except to cross the room and be at Ari's side, to make sure she was okay, and to wipe the smudge of dirt from her chin. Instead, she remained frozen between her parents, terrified that any wrong move might mean the fire army would come crashing through those tall windows any moment.

Queen Lisbet was sipping at her tea as if nothing untoward was happening, despite the sounds of frantic movement outside. Katja crossed the room to stand behind her mother. Osvald and Virani were standing on either side of Sanna, both of them staring down at Queen Lisbet, as if their height could convey their power.

"The Fire Army has the palace surrounded, Lisbet," Osvald said calmly. "We will accept your surrender, and instate our own leader. This is a peaceful revolution. The Norrlish people have suffered for too long under your rule. They have starved in the cold while you hoard your wealth."

Queen Lisbet laughed. "You do not bring an army to my palace and then tell me that this is a peaceful revolution." She stirred a spoon in her tea, and then took a sip. "There is no peace here. You have made sure of that."

"Lisbet, if you do not surrender, we shall have no choice but to use force," Osvald said, his voice calm. "You must accept our daughter as the new ruler of Norrlund."

"What?" came the cries of Sanna, Ari and Katja at once.

Sanna whirled to look at her father and then at her mother. Despite everything, she had not expected this. She hadn't known what her father had been planning, hadn't known what her mother, still a stranger to her, had in mind for this attack on Vulfholm.

"You will be the Queen of Norrlund, my daughter," Virani said, putting out a hand to stroke Sanna's cheek. Sanna flinched away from the woman's warm hand, as if burned. She had wanted a crown for all of her life, and yet now a crown seemed like a cheap, worthless thing. She had never wanted to steal a crown off the Queen Lisbet's head.

Sanna reigned her emotions, and then stood firmly.

"I will not be Queen of Norrlund," Sanna said, keeping her voice as strong as she could. "I want no such thing."

It was only by saying it that she realised that it was true. Sanna had spent her entire time in Vulfholm looking up to Queen Lisbet, in a confusing mix of jealousy and love. She had confused that emotion with wanting to be the queen. She had thought that if she could emulate the queen's cool demeanour, she would achieve her heart's desire.

But Sanna's heart was more complicated than she had ever imagined. Had she wanted to be Queen Lisbet, or had she craved the love that Queen Lisbet had always shown her daughter? She had wanted to feel a love like that. She had wanted, desperately, for the Queen to look at her with unbridled love, like that she showed Katja.

Sanna had lived her life without a mother's love, but she had never wanted to replace Queen Lisbet. She had only wanted to be loved by her.

"This is what I have trained you for, your entire life," Osvald said. "It is the thing you have always desired!"

"I do not want to be Queen!" Sanna repeated. "Queen Lisbet has been more of a mother to me than you have ever been, General Virani. I would never betray her."

"Thank you, Sanna," Queen Lisbet said kindly. "Well, Osvald, I think that's settled. There will be no peaceful revolution. So, you'll set your army upon us, and we will defend ourselves, as we did for years during the Fire War. I lost one husband then, and it seems today I will lose another. This time, I will not shed a tear."

Sanna breathed out at the queen's words, impressed.

"This has certainly been an enlightening day," Queen Lisbet said. "And there's more to come. Tomas?"

"Your Majesty, you have my final answer," Tom said firmly. "I will stand to defend Norrlund from this coup," Tom said. "That is all."

"That's very kind of you, Tom, but I ensure you my wolfguard will protect the palace. I am more interested in greeting our Lombardian guests," Queen Lisbet said. "Osvald, Virani, you are kindly invited to leave. Osvald, I trust you know the way out."

"Don't speak to me like that," Osvald said snidely. "You've never fought in a war, Lisbet. You have no idea how weak your wolfguard is."

"That's simply not true," Lisbet said. "My wolfguard is stronger than ever."

Osvald laughed. "That's what they've told you. That's the lie they've been feeding you, for years, waiting for this moment. You thought you could defend this palace from anything, but you were wrong."

For the first time, Sanna saw a flicker of fear in the Queen's face, but it was gone in an instant. "Tomas," the queen said sternly. "Let us make haste. We shall ride down to the Lombardian ships and greet the Lombardian king."

"You're not going to greet the Lombardian king. By the time he arrives, Sanna will be sitting on your throne."

Sanna turned and in one quick movement she grabbed Ari's hand. The girl looked up at her, surprised, but in another second Sanna had turned away to face her father. She didn't want to see any of the hurt in Ari's eyes. Instead, she looked into the dark blue eyes of the man who had raised her, who seemed more of a stranger to her than ever.

"I am not part of your coup," she said, as she drew the magic of ice towards her, and created a blade of ice in her hand. Sanna had never been an expert at fighting with magic, as Tom was, but she hoped the threat of a fight was enough.

"This is improper," Lisbet said. "I will not have fighting in my drawing room."

"Aren't you listening?" Osvald roared. "This is a coup! This is no longer your drawing room! The palace is surrounded by the fire army. Your wolfguard cannot defend it. You are under siege. You must surrender, now!"

"Katja, Ariane, you're aware of what you must do," Queen Lisbet said. "Osvald, you have tested my patience for long enough. Leave my palace immediately, and never return."

"That won't be happening, Lisbet," Virani said, stepping forward. She too, was entering a stance ready to fight, and Sanna felt a tremor of fear as she faced her mother. She was known to be one of the best fire warriors in the army, and had risen through the ranks to general.

"You'll kill your own daughter before you take this palace, Virani," Sanna said firmly.

"If the stars will it," General Virani said, her dark eyes fixed on Sanna, and then she pulled herself onto the back of her white wolf.

... to be continued

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote!

See you then!

elle