Chapter 36, Part 2

ARI

"I am," Ari said, firmly. "I'm here to sacrifice myself, to stop the war."

"You're young," Queen Lisbet said. "But I appreciate just how brave you are."

"That dragon," Ari said, trying to direct the conversation. She pointed at Warrah. "That dragon is the reason that Raphael is dead! This dragon started the war! You could stop the war!"

Queen Lisbet's gaze went to the dragon. "I was very sad to hear of Raphael's passing," she said. "He was a charming boy, and always so sweet to my daughter. He would have made a fine king, I'm sure. And his death was truly a tragedy. But justice will not bring him back. Killing you, or this dragon, would not bring back Raphael."

Ari felt tears welling in her eyes with frustration. "It's still justice!"

"Indeed," Queen Lisbet said. "I imagine that many terrible things have happened in your life, and you have wished with all your heart that those responsible would be brought to justice. But I can promise you, my dear, that no amount of punishment will ever mend our hearts. We have to do that by ourselves."

"But that..." Ari spluttered. She had known, of course, that the death of Taisun Tsukasai, the Burning King, had been justice for the Fire War. But of course, it had never mended the gaping hole in her heart that was left by the loss of her parents.

"It doesn't matter," Ari continued. "If Matthias Stone has justice, then he won't invade Vastier."

"I'm afraid that's not true at all, my dear, and I think you know the truth. Matthias Stone has been waiting his whole life to invade Vastier. It has been his life ambition. He has been secretly funding the warlords of Zantiala for years, letting their democracy crumble to ruin. He has been sowing seeds of discontent in his people, so they hate their neighbours. And now, he has the opportunity of his lifetime. His own son, killed, as he says, by a Vastien. What more could he wish for?"

Ari was shocked. "He wanted his own son dead?"

"Of course not," Lisbet said. "And now he has no heir, which is dangerous for his legacy. But he now has the perfect justification for invading Vastier: to hunt and kill the murderer of his son. His people would never dare judge him for it. In fact, they believe in his purpose wholeheartedly. The king doesn't care about you at all. He cares solely about taking the islands for himself."

"But if I'm here, he can't invade Vastier," Ari said hopelessly. "I'm here. You can tell everyone that you have me as your prisoner."

"And yet Matthias Stone's newspapers would weave a different tale," the queen said. "Which is why there is no reason for me to take you as a prisoner. I do, however, have a different plan. Ah, Osvald."

Ari glanced up, to see the man, flanked by his wolf, in the doorway. This was Osvald van Dael - Sanna's father, and the husband to the queen. Ari remembered him from the one time she had met him, when he had accompanied Katja and Sanna to the school.

Now that she knew that Sanna's mother was General Virani of the Fire Lands, it coloured Ari's impression of Osvald van Dael. She had thought of him as a kind windower, who had lost his wife, raised his daughter by himself, and then, against all odds, married the queen of Norrlund.

But now Ari considered him elsewise. What other secrets was he holding?

"My queen," Osvald said, walking into the room.

"Take a seat," the queen said. "Katja is less than a day's ride away, and she's found Tom."

"She's also with Lumi," Ari said, and then she looked at Osvald. "And Sanna, of course. I'm sure you're glad to hear of your daughter's whereabouts."

Osvald paused, and then looked at Ari closely. "And you are?" he asked.

"A friend," Ari said with a smile. "Aren't you happy to hear that you'll soon be reunited with Sanna?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Osvald said.

"You must be mistaken," Queen Lisbet said lightly. "Sanna is at the summer palace."

"Is she, Mister van Dael?" Ari asked. "She'll be arriving at the palace soon, so you'd better get your story straight."

Osvald spluttered, and his wife glanced at him. "What is she talking about? Where is Sanna?"

"I sent her off to follow Katja," Osvald said quickly. "I thought it best the girls were together. They're safer together."

"How could you have sent her in time?" Lisbet said, confused. "The summer palace is so far away."

Ari was interested now. So it seemed that Queen Lisbet had no idea about Sanna.

Osvald's teacup clattered in his hand, and he set it down quickly. "I sent Sanna to be with her mother," he said.

"Her mother?" Queen Lisbet said, alarmed. "Her mother is dead."

"No, she's not," Osvald said. "Her mother is alive."

"What is this about, Osvald? Who is Sanna's mother?"

Osvald sighed, and something seemed to change in his eyes.

"Sanna's mother is Virani, General of the Fire Army."

Queen Lisbet laughed, but when Osvald didn't reveal that he was telling a cruel joke, she stood up, shocked. "Is this true? Osvald?"

"Virani was stationed in Norrlund during the Fire War," Osvald said. "She was the captain of her battalion, and a driving force against our border. When the Kaio captured our land, she kept me as her prisoner, because I spoke the Fire tongue."

"You speak the Fire tongue?" Lisbet asked. "And then what... you bedded her? I have heard tales from the battlefield of General Virani, before she became a general. She was a ruthless killer on her white tiger."

"I don't have to explain myself to you," Osvald said sharply. "What I did was before we were married."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me as my husband," she snapped. "But I command you to explain yourself to me as, as I am your queen. Your daughter is half Kaio. You raised her, knowing full well that her mother is alive, and dangerous."

"We have been at peace with the Fire Lands for ten years," Osvald said. "But it was still dangerous to know. I kept it secret."

"You have no secrets from your queen."

"I am my own man, and I keep my own truth," Osvald said sharply.

"How dare you."

"Ma'am!" a servant ran into the room. "The Lombardians are here."

"Perfect," Queen Lisbet said, clasping her hands together. "Osvald, I shall have to deal with you later. She looked at Ari calmly, apparently completely uncaring of the argument with her husband. "Now, Ariane. Let me tell you a story about Matthias Stone."

... to be continued

for those of you who don't follow me on instagram, you might not know that I moved to New York! I spent the last 7 years living in Europe but now I'm a writer in NYC, which is so exciting! the city is just so great, and I've already met so many other writers here, including fellow Wattpad Creator Mikaela Bender (the author of the Expiration Date series)

what city would you love to live in?

xx elle