Chapter 25

Third Person POV:

You- he – when -what? Was what the human wanted to ask, but the words wouldn't form. Will had just said his mate didn't know anything about this. He wasn't sure when or how it could have possibly happened that said mate knew now, but he knew what it meant. Will had someone else now. Will didn't need him anymore. Not that he thought Will needed him to begin with, it was more the other way round, if anything. But he knew he would fade to irrelevance eventually.

Despite knowing all that, he also knew he should be happy for the vampire. It was the least he could do, because the prince deserved that and so much more. He couldn't bring himself to ruin Will's happiness. So instead he said,

"That's great!" He almost winced at his failed attempt at enthusiasm. He figured deflection was his best bet at keeping Will oblivious to his inner turmoil. "Tell me more about him."

Will smiled, fully ready to describe his mate to the best of his ability.

"Honestly, he's just perfect", Will began, "He doesn't think so though, even though I feel like I've told him a million times."
"He's a little shy too. Doesn't usually talk a lot, but I love when he does. I love his voice. I love his laugh too. And his smile." The prince gushed. Nico watched as Will's eyes lit up talking about his mate. He wished that look wasn't for someone else.

"I love just being with him, though I'm scared he'll get tired of me and leave, because it's like I'm always by his side and he probably feels suffocated."

Will continued to talk about his mate, listing every detail, watching Nico's every reaction, waiting for him to realize who exactly he was talking about. Nico's face just fell with every word of praise, and the prince wondered how anyone could be so oblivious. Having figured by now, or at least hoped, that the human wouldn't completely hate being his mate, he decided to just go for it.

"You should know him actually. I'm surprised you haven't figured out who it is by now."

The wheels in Nico's head spun. He knew the person?

Wait, was it... Cecil?!?

"Think about it. Who do I spend all my time with? Who would I do anything for? Who would I give everything for?"

With each question he moved closer, taking the human's hands in his.

"Who is my world? My obsession. My angel. "

From the gasp that left his mates lips, he knew he'd finally understood.

"It's you. It's always been you."

The prince waited for a response, any response from Nico. Even blinking would have been nice, but the boy seemed to have frozen. He wanted to reach out and do something, but he didn't know how the human would react.

The boy snapped out of his trance like state, his eyes finally finding focus but not meeting Will's. His gaze remained on his hands, playing with his fingers like they were the most interesting thing in the room.

"How long?" was the first thing he asked. Will, caught off guard by the question, answered with a tilt of his head.

"How long have you known?" Nico repeated. There was a long pause as both boys tried to get their thoughts together.

"A while." The prince finally answered. " A really long while."

He was evading, and they both knew it. Nico didn't say anything, simply continued to mess with his fingers.

It bothered Will; the boy's reaction. He'd expected anger. He'd expected something akin to fear. He'd expected anything but this. He was prepared for everything but this.