Chapter 30

Third Person POV:

Both boys laid in the middle of the prince’s overly large bed, the vampire not being able to do more than attempt to offer comfort to his mate who would squirm in discomfort every once in a while.

An earlier analysis by Asclepius showed that Nico was only in preheat. It was a bit of a relief to the prince, since both him and his mate were pretty new to all this and Nico probably still didn’t know much of what was going on. But that also meant suppressants wouldn’t do much to help. Nico had a vague idea of what this whole thing meant, but they hadn’t actually been able to talk about it, what with so many things happening all at once.

Nico probably knew a bit more than Will was assuming. He knew what was going on with him, in the general sense. He’d managed to put two and two together; both Will and the doctor weren’t the best at whispering. It wasn’t anything he hadn’t done before. After living on the streets for so long, you tend to see things, and experience things whether you wanted to or not.

And then there was also Luke…

But this was different. At least he had a choice, kind of. He knew even with this heat thing, if he told Will he didn’t want it, he wouldn’t do anything. But the question was, did he?

He was hit with another wave of discomfort before he could think of an answer. He pulled himself closer to Will, one arm around Will’s neck while the other curled around his own middle, trying without much success to ease the pain.

Will obliged the boy’s silent request and held him tighter, as if they could get any closer than they already were.

“Is there anything I can do to help, Angel?” The boy shook his head. He felt better being close to Will, but he doubted the prince could do much more than hold him. He was about to tell him as much, but then reconsidered.

“Distract me,” he said instead. Will made an attempt to sit up but was quickly stopped by Nico’s whine as his source of comfort was pulled away.

“Distract you?”

“Tell me about yourself. Something I don’t already know,” The boy supplied in lieu of an explanation.

The prince had to think for a moment. It wasn’t a question he got asked often, as there weren’t many who didn’t already know him. Or at least heard of him. And whatever they didn’t know, they probably didn’t need to. It came with the title, being a ‘prince’ of sorts. Self-introductions were seldom necessary.

"Well, what do you want to know?" He asked instead. The boy was silent for a few seconds, then asked,

"Do you only talk to Lou and Cecil? Friends, I mean. I've never seen you with anyone else..."

That...was unexpected. Not exactly a bad thing to ask, but far off from anything Will had been expecting.

"Sort of." The prince started, "I don't really get out a lot. My dad keeps me too busy with studies and training to be making friends. And I can't really have friends around the castle because they know me as 'The Prince', rather than just me. But Lou, Cecil and I have been friends for a long time, so it's different with them."

The boy hummed, a low sound that was barely audible with how far he had buried himself against Will.

"You've really only had two friends all your life?" He still asked, even though it seemed like he was just about drifting off despite the constant pain that rolled around in his lower belly.

"Actually... I used to have one friend. A long time ago. Long before I even met Lou and Cecil. I was much too young to have a lot of duties, and much too young to pay attention to them anyway. I would sneak out into the town, especially when they were having celebrations or anything special. My minders must have hated me," He laughed, falling into old memories that he'd never had reason to dig up before now.