Chapter 17

Will's POV:

I couldn't even begin to think of where to start. I knew that no matter what I said and how I said it, it wasn't going to sit well with him. Judging from the huge bite on his neck and the smaller ones everywhere else, he'd been fed from, several times, so he obviously knew that he'd been taken by vampires. But I doubt he knew we were too. He was scared enough of us as it were. I wasn't sure how he'd react to knowing we were the same species as the people- scratch that, the things that hurt him. I didn't want to bring up memories of his time there and what they did to him, but it was something we had to at least mention at some point.

I got comfortable on the floor, sitting cross-legged a bit farther than I was before. I didn't want him to get uncomfortable when I finally told him. I took a deep breath and braced myself.

"I'm a vampire."

I heard a sharp intake of breath behind me but I ignored it to face the person whose reaction was most important to me. I watched as several emotions flashed over his features, each one not lasting more than a moment before settling on an expression that screamed terror. His entire self was radiating fear so palpable I could practically taste it. I saw that coming, I expected him to be scared. It was something I was prepared for. What I wasn't prepared for, however, was the look on his face, during that nanosecond that he showed it, as his mind started to process the feeling of betrayal that it was currently feeling. At this point he felt like I had betrayed him somehow. The logical part of me knew that I did nothing of the sort, but the not so logical part felt like throwing myself off a cliff for making him feel that way. And the longer I stared at his fear stricken form, that part of me that was bonded to him was telling me to go right ahead.

I was fully aware that it was a major overreaction, considering I didn't do anything wrong, but the mere fact that my emotions were connected so strongly with his already scared me. I saw tears fill his eyes and felt my heart clench. I wasn't sure I could take watching him cry.

"We're not like them! I know vampires hurt you but I swear we're not like them!" I rushed out before the tears could drop. I knew that wouldn't be enough to convince him, but at least I had a chance to explain better.

"The vampires that took you, they're called rogues. Vampires that get thrown out of their covens for some reason or other. Some become feral, losing all the humanity they have left. They hunt carelessly and feed on anything with a pulse. The other kind... they're far worse. They aren't under the dictates of a coven anymore so they neglect every law known to vampire-kind except one. They can't let humans find out what we are and let them go. Unfortunately, their preferred method of ensuring they 'protect' our kind is to...kill their victims. It was those kind of rogues that took you."

It was obvious what I was saying was only scaring him more but I had to make sure he understood the difference.

"They usually move in groups, attacking small, weak covens and taking their bloodslaves." I wasn't exactly excited to delve into that area of vampire101, but seeing he was technically my bloodslave now, he was going to find out sooner or later. And it seemed 'sooner' had volunteered.

"Bloodslaves are humans that are kept solely for the purpose of being fed from." I winced as the word left my mouth, but continued anyway.

"Some vampires keep them for house work and things like that. But their primary purpose is to feed from them. We don't usually kidnap anyone, but sometimes it can't be helped. If a human happened to find out, he'd either have to be kept as a bloodslave, or well... killed. Most humans choose the first option. Some vampires would, of course, kidnap one, claiming they found out, or get found out on purpose. But before claiming one, the human would have to explain what happened to the coven leader. And they can't lie. We don't really know how that works but apparently its known to only the older vampires." I huff rolling my eyes, then I realize I've been droning on about unimportant information for ages without getting to anything important.