Chapter 3

I didn't bother to change before heading over to The Sanctuary and as much as I had wanted to avoid the place while I was working a case that centered around it, just as Cesar and Matt had said, it was the only place for us. I showed my bracelet at the door and adjusted the mask on my face as I stepped through the foyer and into the low hum of music and the sea of bodies. Everyone was dressed to the nines, as usual and then there was little me who felt uncomfortable and completely out of place, in jeans. Once I parted the sea and made what eye contact I could with Anthony behind the bar, he waved me over and I followed his lead. Standing behind the bar, I watched everyone making their moves and talking in low seductive tones to their partners, making me wonder all the more what they were saying.

"You kept him waiting." Anthony hissed as he poured what looked like a martini.

"I know, but I got invited to drinks with some coworkers and I have to play nice."

He gave a swift nod. "He still waited for you but it was only because I sent Sophia."

I giggled. "They always wait around for Sophia."

He glared at me. It was a running joke that Sophia was the real reason that anyone came to The Sanctuary and that was also the reason that they stayed. She had such an enticing personality and before you actually spoke to her, you got to see the amazing body that came with that personality, which surely made a difference to the men and even some women. That night she was clad in royal blue with black heels and black lipstick with her brown curls tossed to one side of her head and cascading down her shoulder. Every inch of her cried sophistication and lust. The lust was definitely not lost on my brother and he watched her like a hawk from behind that bar, daring another man to touch her.

"I'll go save her." I announced as I left from behind the bar and headed up the stairs to what looked like a stage which they had roped off as the VIP section.

When Sophia spotted me, she showed her megawatt smile and stood to greet me at the ropes, unclipping them and letting me through before replacing it. "You could have at least changed clothes."

"Why?" I asked. "You're the one that picked this outfit."

"Yes, for drinks with coworkers." She sighed. "Not a date."

I faked a concerned gasped. "Should I go home and change right now?"

She grabbed me by the elbow and pretended to pinch me. "You are going to be the death of me, you know."

"I love you too."

She led me to where my date sat and smiled. "Scarlett, this is Alessandro."

He stood, towering over the both of us and held out his hand. "Please, just Alex." I placed my hand in his and he engulfed it, leading me to sit down next to him. The eyes beneath his mask were a striking green and I couldn't help but stare. "Your brother and sister said that you started your new job today and that's why you were late."

"Yeah, it was a hectic first day."

"What is it that you do?"

Shit.

That had been the main reason for not wanting to hang around in The Sanctuary. Any of the people that I spoke to could have something to do with the Beckett's disappearance and me being there would do nothing but tip them off.

"I am...an assistant."

"Oh yeah, to who?"

"I'm a temp so I bounce around all over the place." I smiled, wanting to get away from my blatant lie. "What do you do?"

"I work in finance." He replied. "Very boring and not worth discussing, I promise."

"What else did my siblings tell you about me?"