A night on the roof (pt. 1)

I hummed to myself as I danced through the kitchen. Head full of music, I smiled and closed my eyes, swaying back and forth. A delicious, sweet smell drifted from the stove. I opened my eyes, crouching to check.

"Woohoo!" I cheered, reaching in and withdrawing a perfectly cooked serving of sweet tofu. I slid it onto a porcelain plate, drizzling the sweet, honey-like syrup over top. I nimbly shopped form fresh almonds, sprinkling them all around. I glanced around the kitchen, stuffed with food and ingredients of all kinds. "There you are." I said fondly, taking a couple steps over to a small mint plant. I pinched off a couple leaves and added them to the top of the pile of tofu.

"Hey!" A voice came from the top of the stairs and my head snapped up. Yanxiao was glaring down at me. "What're you doing, barging into the kitchen?"

"Sorry! I promise I'll take care of your request later!" I said, grabbing the plate.

"Hold on a second-" he said, but I sprinted past him, up the stairs. "You better pay me back!"

"Sure!" I called, still hurrying up the spiral stairs of Wangshu inn. I slowed to a walk but continued going higher... until I was at the very top. The night was young, with a beautiful dark blue sky full of stars and a luminous moon. I breathed in the fresh air and exhaled deeply. Liyue was so peaceful.

Please be here... I thought, quietly stepping out onto the balcony. A cool breeze played with my hair, gently tugging on my clothes. I didn't see him, so I walked out onto the roof, jumping up and grabbing the very top layer. I hoisted myself up with a bit of effort, being careful as I could with the dish. As I stood, holding the plate in both hands... I saw a sitting figure abruptly slide out of view, behind the point of the roof.

"... Xiao...?" I said softly. "That you?" I took one step forward, trying to peer around the roof's point. A smile tickled my face when I saw a bit of a lilac scarf sticking out. "Huh... too bad." I faked a disappointed sigh, sitting down on the tilted roof. "I'd just cooked this up, too." I set the plate down beside me, not daring to look over. Withdrawing chopsticks from my pocket, I set them with a quiet clink on the brim. I looked up at the moon, still hopeful. "I wish you were here, Xiao. I come up here often as I can, but you're usually not here... and when you are, you leave soon after I arrive." Real sadness settled on my shoulders. The brave adeptus was someone I desperately hoped to befriend... yet he didn't seem at all keen on doing the same to me, even after saving my life. "... but I don't want to bother you... so it's alright." I pulled my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around myself. "It's cold tonight... isn't it?" I turned my head and saw Xiao crouching there, chopsticks halfway to his mouth with a piece of tofu in between.
His eyes widened and he dropped the piece of tofu, setting down the chopsticks in a flash-

"I don't care-" he began, but I smiled at the sight of him, even with his golden eyes narrowed and unhappy expression. "I- I don't want your food." He stood, starting to turn around.

"It'd be a waste if someone didn't eat it..." I said, and he stiffened.

"You're not going to...?" he asked warily.

"I brought it for you. Do you... ever get the ones I leave out?" When he's not here. Or when I know he's there somewhere, but doesn't want to be around anyone.

Xiao slowly turned, eyes wary. "...maybe."

"... are they any good?" I asked with a tiny, hopeful smile.

"No." he crossed his arms, looking away.

My heart shattered and I sagged. "So it is a waste..." I sighed, resting my chin on my knees. How embarrassing. I thought my cooking was just fine! I only set a kitchen on fire once... okay, maybe twice... but this time was fine. Right?

"Hmph." I heard Xiao sit down. "I... I didn't say that. They're... getting better."

"Really?" I said, glancing over at him. He stubbornly avoided my gaze. Is he pitying me? Did I seriously look that heartbroken?

"... maybe."

"What about this one?" I wondered, nudging the plate. "Should I toss it?"

"No!" Xiao swiped the dish up, chopsticks in his hand in a flash. "I don't know this one. Yet."

"Oh... well, okay then..." I smiled as I averted my gaze. After a couple quiet moments...

"This one is... fine." Xiao said. I glanced over to see him chewing. A weight lifted from my chest when I saw his ever-present grumpiness had faded from his features. He looked just a little bit more... at peace. And a little bit was all I could ask.

"I'm glad." I smiled, meeting his eyes.

"B-but it could still be better." he said, setting another piece in his mouth.

"Don't you worry, I'm not going to stop until they're actually perfect." I replied.

"You have a long way to go." he grumbled, chewing. I laughed and his head whipped around. "What? What's so funny?"

"Nothing." I flattened my giggles. "I'm just glad you like 'em."

"I-" Xiao's eyes widened slightly and he stared at the plate of tofu. Hair tucked behind his ear fell forward to hide his face. "Why do you keep doing this? Almost every night... why?"

"... you mean besides the fact that I need an expert taste-tester for my tofu?"

"Besides that." Xiao said, his voice not as curt as usual.

"Well... it's for you." I repeated with a shrug. "I know it's your favorite dish, and since you're always so busy... you're always fighting... I want to try to do anything I can to help. I know you prefer to distance yourself from others. I know, it makes sense. I just- I just wish I could actually be there for you. To really try to help you." 

"I... I can't..." he whispered, so quietly I barely caught it. "I am not getting close with a mortal." he said firmly, setting the plate down and standing.

"But-!" I reached for his hand but the golden light in his eyes flared, and he disappeared in a swirl of inky black and sparks of luminescent green. My hand dropped and I sighed. My eyes caught on the half-finished dish of almond tofu, and a little hope stirred in me. That was probably the longest amount of time he'd ever stayed.

The tofu's too sweet. I should add less sugar in the syrup.