First date

Planning the first date was... a struggle, to say the least. First we'd needed to find a day we were both entirely free. Next, we wracked our brains for... whatever we wanted to do. If I was being completely honest... Xiao was hopeless. The first thing he suggested was going to fight a boss enemy.

"Hm, not sure if that's the first thing I'd want to do on a free day with my boyfriend." I'd said with an apologetic smile, bumping my shoulder against his. He blushed and fell silent for a few minutes after that.

Late afternoon...

I was waiting in Liyue harbor, dangling my legs over the edge of the docks. The day was fresh and had the perfect weather. I'd made sure I'd cleaned up and looked nice... all that was left was to wait for my other half. I closed my eyes and tilted my head back, soaking in the gentle sun.

"Y/n." Xiao spoke softly above me. I opened my eyes to see him leaning over me, a tiny, nervous smile on his face. "I'm not late, am I...?"

"Right on time." I grinned, jumping up. "It's good to see you." I pecked him on the cheek, overjoyed to see him. The feeling of butterflies in my stomach didn't go away when I saw him now... if anything it was even more intense.

"Y/n!" Xiao gave a little jump, eyes widening.

"Huh? You alright...?"

"T-there's still people around..." Xiao glanced back and forth warily. Random bystanders strolled around the docks, no one giving us a second glance. "S-sorry..." He looked down.

"No, no, don't be sorry. I should've asked. It's completely alright if you're not comfortable with being close like that in public."

"...really?"

"Of course. I'd never want to make you uncomfortable like that, you know?" I said with a little smile. "Just let me know; I'll let you know too."

"I'm sorry. I do want to be closer with you- around other people- but I just... I just don't know." Xiao folded his arms tightly, still avoiding my eyes. "I've... never done this before."

My heart throbbed in sympathy. I held out my hand, palm up. I couldn't stand seeing him look so lonely while he was so close. "It's all alright, Xiao. This might be hard to work through but it's okay! We're here for each other and we can take as much time as we need. Don't worry."

"...thank you, y/n." He took my hand. "I wish I could be as amazing as you-"

"You are amazing. Don't put yourself down like that." I said honestly.

"I-if you say so... Anyway! Did you want to go by Wanmin restaurant?"

"... you know what? I think I'd rather make some almond tofu." I didn't hide my grin when Xiao looked up, hope obvious on his face. "Want to go to Mount Aocang?"

"If you don't mind." He seems so on-edge, I know this'll help.

"Well, if we're alone, I can kiss you, right?" I joked.

"Y/n!" Xiao exclaimed, face bright red. I laughed as I teleported us away. The top of Mount Aocang was perfect... as soon as we arrived, I kissed Xiao full on and he returned it, his arms encircling me. "Don't do that." he mumbled, pressing his forehead against mine.

"I can't resist. You're so adorable when you're flustered." Xiao groaned and hid his face in my hair. "Sorry, not sorry." I said, hugging him back. "So... how much sugar do you want in the tofu?"

"A lot." he replied, unmoving.

"I need to actually walk over to the campfire- AH!" Xiao abruptly hefted me into the air, sliding a hand under my back and legs. "What's this for? Not that I'm complaining?" I asked, clasping my hands behind his neck.

"How do you not get embarrassed??" he asked, clearly trying not to smile.

"Nothing you do can embarrass me, love." I said, kissing his cheek again. "Now! To the campfire, to make the best almond tofu of Teyvat!" I declared.

Xiao laughed. "That's not possible."

"With you helping, it is!" I said as Xiao began walking to the small camping area. "You've tried my almond tofu before and said it was getting better!"

"Did I say that? Maybe I was just trying to make you feel better." I gave an offended gasp but knew Xiao was joking from the shine in his eyes. He set me down reluctantly, and leaned over my shoulder while I cooked. We chatted about meaningless things... but happy things. I suppose everything was happy and right when he was around.

"Aaaaand, tada!" I sat beside Xiao on the blanket, offering the sparkling dish of almond tofu out to him.

"...wow." he said.  "I admit... this does look good."

"Just good?!" I exclaimed. "I worked hard on this, you know-"

"It looks delicious. But the chef should be the one to try it first." Xiao said, accepting the plate. He scooped up a small piece of tofu with the chopsticks, holding it out for me. "Well?" he asked, tilting it. I opened my mouth slightly and leaned forward, avoiding his eyes. The tofu was perfect. Probably the best I'd ever made; not overpoweringly sweet and really flavorful.

"Mmmm." I hummed when he pulled the chopsticks away. 

"...and?" Xiao said expectantly.

"Don't ask me!" I took the plate and chopsticks from him, quickly picking up another piece. "Try it yourself." I offered. Xiao blushed and leaned forward, taking a small bite of the tofu. "Oh, come on." I laughed. He took the whole piece, cheeks flushing again. 

"It's... perfect." he said, eyes widening. 

"Finally. Now I can die in peace." Xiao snorted, giving me a fond look.

After almond tofu, we idly explored Mount Aocang and talked. Xiao held my hand the whole time and I didn't see a moment where he stopped smiling. The sunset was an incredible blue-orange-yellow ombre- we could see it perfectly from the peak of another mountain. The moment the sun was about to vanish over the horizon, Xiao pulled me close and kissed me.

"Thank you." he said softly. 

"For what?"

"For... being here. With me. I... I've never been happier in my life than I am right now."

"Aw, Xiao... you don't need to thank me. I'm just as happy."

"Really?" His eyes caught the fading light, more bright and brilliant than ever. Maybe it was because of the joy inside them.

"Really." I hugged him back, resting my head against his chest. I heard his heart's steady beat...strong and warm, just like Xiao.

____________________________________________________________

(A/N- And that's the end of the story! I highly doubt I'll upload any more parts to this, I was definitely running out of energy during the last couple parts, haha. Thank you so, so much for reading, I can't say how grateful I am for all of you. To get so much support on my first story has been so uplifting and exciting. <3 Acorn)