Cuddling

Xiao was late again. Very... very late. I lay on the roof, a couple thick blankets wrapped around me. The stars were stunning tonight, and I'd hoped we could stargaze... but maybe he was just too busy tonight. With a sigh, I shifted upright- only to have two arms snake around my torso and pull me back down, right against a warm figure that I instantly recognized.

"Xiao." I smiled, turning my head around. The tips of his ears were red and he hid his face against my shoulder, murmuring something. "Hm?"

"...I meant to come sooner." he repeated, arms tightening. 

"Aw, don't worry. All that matters is that you're here. Wait- are you all okay? Not scraped up?" I reached up to touch a few awry strands of hair. He shook his head and I loosely wound his long hair around my fingers. He pressed himself even more against me, if that was possible, and rubbed the top of his head against my cheek.

"I'm glad you waited." he said, lifting his head to rest his chin on my shoulder. "There are more stars tonight. And... new constellations."

"Can you tell me about them?" I asked, leaning against him. His necklace poked my back and he immediately moved it, but then put his arm right back around my waist.

"Yes. If you look down from the moon... past that bright star, and to the side... Those four, bright stars don't come out often..."

I followed the path his eyes took while he stared at the sky and found the group of stars. "Are they in a constellation?" I asked, moving my hand up to pet his head.  A low, content noise sounded in his throat before he spoke.

"The Pearl Dragon. In an old story... there's four dragons. The Black, Yellow, Pearl, and Long Dragons. Do you... want to hear the story?" I nodded and Xiao leaned back against the roof. I laid on my side, head on his chest. His heart beat strong, in a calming tempo. "Once, there were four dragons that lived peacefully in the sky." he spoke quietly, never disturbing the cool night. "But... back on Earth, people were suffering because it hadn't rained in a long time." He laced his hand with mine, rubbing his thumb around my knuckles. "The dragons went to the Jade Emperor for help... but he didn't do anything."

"Mhm?" I hummed, letting him take a long pause.

"So the dragons decided to help on their own. They took water from their home and sprayed it down to the people. It saved them, but the Emperor became furious and trapped the dragons under mountains. Still wanting to help, they turned into four rivers."

"So where are the other three?" I asked, staring up at the sky.

"Each dragon's constellation comes out every few years, and only one at the time. A lot of people believe that it's when the dragons get to fly around for one night before going back to the rivers."

"Cool..."

"You sound tired. Close your eyes."

"I want to hear the stories..." I sighed. Honestly, it had been a long, tiring day. I'd pass out as soon as I closed my eyes. "And you just got here."

"Y/n." Xiao's tone made me look up. His expression was calm and happy. "The stories can always wait." He pulled the blankets further around us and turned on his side so we were even closer, faces inches apart. "You always make sure I rest when I'm tired... no matter how much I want to stay awake to see you." he said, sounding a bit embarrassed. His hand cupped the side of my face and I gave a little smile.

"Fine... if you promise you'll stay the night?" I opened my arms and he pulled me flush against hime.

"Promise." he whispered, right by my ear. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up but I smiled, wrapping my arms around him. His body was so relaxed and we fit perfectly in each others arms, warm and safe from the outside chill. Xiao's hair brushed my face and I tucked it behind his ear, letting my fingertips brush his cheek. 

"And... promise to tell more stories in the morning...?" I said, eyes drooping close.

"I promise. Rest, y/n... I will be here when you wake." he whispered, kissing my forehead. I hummed and nuzzled my face against his warm chest. He made that same noise again- almost a deep rumble in the back of his throat.

"Sweet dreams, Xiao..." I muttered. My eyes closed and I fell asleep with the beat of his heart becoming the background music of my own dreams.

________________________________________________________________

(A/N- OH my gosh, I meant to post this way earlier. Sorry, but I'm having a little bit of a writer's block right now. Still planning on continuing this, though. :) Acorn)