A night on the roof (pt.2)

The next day, one my commissions was trouble at Wangshu inn. I put it off all day, dreading the tedious chore of clearing some remote location of monsters. And... I was still down about last night. Xiao was a lot better at shutting people out than I thought.

I finally dragged myself out to the marsh, and at some point found myself flying into the air for what seemed like the hundredth time. I landed with a grunt, rolling before jumping back up to my feet. The spinning mitachurl's axe blazed with heat and I sprinted in the opposite direction, shoes splashing in the shallow water. The instant the monster stopped spinning, I ran up and finished it off with several precise sword strikes and elemental attacks. I sunk to the ground, wiping sweat of my forehead.  My body ached; as usual, I was covered with scrapes and bruises from head to toe. I'd been distracted all day for no reason! Okay, maybe there was a reason... a reason that scowled at an imperfect dessert or mournfully gazed at the night sky.

"Ugh..."  I wiped dirt off my arm "Why'd I have to get all the boring commissions today?" I grumped, stretching my limbs.

"Traveler!" a shout jolted me out of my thoughts and I spun around. My eyes widened at the sight of Xiao, standing several feet away, staring right at me. "A-are you -" he stammered, face pale. "What happened to you-"

"Oh! I'm fine. Just, uh... tired?" I said, shrugging. The motion sent a ripple of pain along my back and shoulders, making me wince. "No big deal-"

Xiao shot forward in a black and neon-green blur,  now only inches away from me. His gold eyes held more concern than I'd ever seen. He tentatively reached out but quickly pulled his hand back. "You're not fine. You shouldn't be alone out here, like this." Xiao glanced around, no doubt searching for more monsters.

"Like what?" I said innocently. I'm digging my own grave at this point, aren't I?  I thought, knowing full well that the bright bruises on my face were giving me away.

"Injured! Barely conscious!" Xiao exclaimed, hands twitching. "Archons above, I should have known a mortal would make the same mistakes." he muttered to himself, summoning a black polearm out of thin air.

"Xiao, I'm fine." I sighed, reaching up to wipe my nose. My hand came away with dark stains. "I'll just... head to Bubu Pharmacy..." I began walking, but almost instantly my head throbbed in pain and I faltered. "Ugh..."

"You're more badly hurt than you realize." Jeez, why was Xiao speaking so loudly?

"I'll just teleport." I said, perplexed on why my words seemed to echo in the open air.

"Y/n-" Xiao said stiffly. I stopped and looked at him. He almost ever called me by my real name... "I'm going to take you." he said through gritted teeth.

"There's gonna be... a lot of people around..." I reached up to touch my head, pain lancing through my temples. The ground seemed to move underneath me and I stumbled, reaching out to steady myself. An arm slid around my waist and I instinctively leaned against Xiao, my head throbbing fiercely.

"It's- it's not that bad. You'll be alright." I heard him say. I blinked, but my eyes stayed closed, and I felt my body going limp- but strong arms hefted me up, holding me close. I tried to open my eyes... but black splotches covered my vision and I passed out.

I sat bolt upright, eyes wide open. I was in a bed. In a quiet, dark room that smelled like mint. Cautiously, I touched my head, but all signs of pain had vanished. I let out a sigh, lowering my gaze- and jumped in place, nearly having a heart attack. Qiqi, the herb-picking zombie, sat silently in a chair to my side, staring right at me.

"The patient is... awake." She hopped down from the chair and stepped forward, placing a brown envelope on the bed. "Take one in the morning and at night. For... a week? Yes. You are discharged." she said flatly, and walked off.

"Uh, thanks-" I said before the door closed. ...I guess Xiao actually did bring me here. I rubbed my eyes, slowly getting up. I saw bandages around my arms and a soft cream on my skin. Outside, it was almost sunset. I put my prescription away for now and stretched, starting down the stairs- but coming to a halt right away as I saw the tip of a bright lilac scarf hanging over the edge of the roof. I craned my head upwards, stepping back to try to see him- but I couldn't. Not quite.

After a bit of a tedious trip up to a teleport waypoint and a long glide down to the pharmacy roof... I walked quietly over the slanted roof, turning my head to see... Xiao. Eyes closed and laying on the roof, scarf dangling over the edge. Uh. This is awkward. I should probably go... but. He did bring me here. I need to thank him. I stepped closer, softly clearing my throat.

"Xiao?" I said hesitantly. His eyes shot open and he was on his feet in a flash, raising a hand to summon a weapon- "Just me! It's just me!" I jumped back, spreading my hands. His eyes widened and he lowered his arm. "I, um, just woke up-"

"You're not in pain?" he said sharply, stare fixed on me.

"No. Baizhu and Qiqi must've helped me. But thank you! For taking me here. I'm really sorry I passed out on you- I was being too careless in my fights and..." Hands clamped down on my shoulders and Xiao nearly shoved me down, to sit on the roof. "Ah-"

"You're being more reckless right now." His eyes narrowed. "Try to learn from your mistakes, for once."

"I will." I smiled, making him glance away. "But I really mean it. Thank you. You're so kind, Xiao-" He scoffed, still looking away as he sat a foot away from me. "What? You basically saved me again... those monsters would've come back sooner or later! And I might've still been unconscious then."

"That was out of character for you." he snapped. "Being 'tired' and clumsy. You were just letting yourself be thrown around. How could you be so distracted and foolish!" his words lashed out at me. I blinked in surprise, very taken aback. "You were aware enough to have called me. Why didn't you?" His words hit me like a slap to the face. He wanted me to call him and rely on him to save me. He wanted to save me... he really cared.

"I was afraid you were mad at me." I blurted. "Or annoyed. Or that maybe I couldn't rely on you-"

"And why on Teyvat did you think that." his voice was low with an edge of danger that made me hesitate. Should I tell him?

"You... vanish. When I try to talk to you." I broke eye contact. "I know I was stupid. You don't have to rub it in." I added, a bit more softly.

Xiao made a noise that was somewhat like an offended gasp- or growl? "Fine." He laid back, crossing his arms on his chest. 

"Are you... okay?"

"I'm not going anywhere." he said pointedly, staring straight up. "And neither are you. You're still hurt." he huffed. A smile crept onto my face as I laid down on the smooth tiles, putting my hands behind my head. 

"Are you trying to make me feel better?" I asked, watching the sky slowly darken at the horizon.

"No!" he barked. "Y-you just said you feel like you can't rely on me. If this doesn't buy your trust, I don't know what will." he growled.

"...thank you. Really. You're a good adeptus." I said, honestly meaning it with all my heart. Xiao didn't say anything, so I reached out with a hand, until my fingers brushed his arm. He jumped, head whipping around to me. He almost looked... flustered. Embarrassed. "You know, there's this kind of mortal magic that's supposed to heal all wounds. On the inside and outside." I said.

"...you must be joking." he said, eyeing my open hand.

I laughed. "Okay, it was worth a try-" I began pulling my hand back, but suddenly felt gloved fingers grab mine. Xiao averted his gaze to the sky, but his palm slid alongside mine. Our fingers laced together, fitting perfectly. I couldn't stop smiling as I looked up, admiring the midnight blue spreading over the hazy yellow and pink. Soon, bright stars began to appear, shining like diamonds on a velvet backdrop. The feeling of a hand in mine... a comforting presence so close... made everything in the world feel alright.

I closed my eyes with a quiet sigh, barely catching Xiao's words before I fell asleep. "I'm going to be here for you, y/n. Always."