Finding Roots

_____________
She planted the seeds her mother gave her
And found roots within sullied soil
Despite her shaky foundation,
She had found home
So she would grow, grow, grow
~ Alisha E.
_____________

When Ruelle was born, her mother promised her that she would be great. She would be happy. Ruelle carried that promise for years but it was not until her late adulthood that her destiny was fulfilled.

Ruelle had been great. So great she hardly knew what to do with herself.

Then, to her absolutely awe, Ruelle also became happy.

When Juliette died, she made her own promise to Kamora. She would be great. She would be happy.

And so, through her grandmother's will, through her mother's strength, and by the sheer determination of her second mother, Kamora was great.

Like her second mother, she also grew to be happy.

As the people around her cheered for her, Kamora took a second to absorb it all. Her mom was at the forefront of it all, a party hat on her head and a blowout in her hand. Her father was right beside Ruelle, trying to snatch the blowout from her. Kamora's uncle grinned at the two, shaking his head as they continued to fight to become Kamora's favorite. Zachari had decided long ago that he would not be the one to tell them that he was actually the favorite.

Kamora grinned, her eyes shimmering as her younger brother, Xavion, carried a cake towards her. "Congratulations on your degree, Momo," he said, smiling at her with his majestic eyes that always reminded her of Zachari.

"Xavi," Kamora said, her voice wobbling. He had been carrying her cakes since he was old enough to not drop them. The tradition continued even now, at 23, when she finally graduated college. Still, Kamora felt emotional every time because Xavion seemed older and more mature each time.

Her younger brother was growing up and she didn't know what to do with herself.

Xavion rolled his eyes, "Enough, Momo. You act worst than mom."

Kamora laughed at that. "It's my day, remember? Be nice."

He grumbled but he obliged. Xavion was proud of his sister. He always would be. Kamora saw the same pride in the rest of her family and gripped her pendant. Ruelle had invited unconditional love into Kamora's life when she gifted her the rose quartz, and she had received it with open hands.

In her head, she thanked her birth mother for giving her a chance to meet and love the people in this room. Out loud, she thanked her second mother for surrounding her with sweet, gentle love.

She sent her thoughts to her late grandmother, eternally grateful for her guidance. She kissed her father's cheek, honored to be his daughter.

Now that she had graduated university, Kamora was finally ready to leave her nest and find a foundation of her own. Soon, it would be Xavion's turn. And then their children's turns.

In this life, everyone was searching for a home. Everyone wanted to plant their seeds and take root. The cycle would not end with Ruelle nor would it end with her grand children.

Finding Roots was everlasting.

THE END