A Note

Hi, my loves!

Finding Roots was a bit of a spontaneous project for me. This story began with the conversation between Kwaye and Ruelle while he was in the hospital. Do you remember? That scene popped in my head during one of my very long showers and it hit me so deeply. This idea that when you fall in love with a person, you sometimes fall in love with his family too, humbled me. It made me look at love differently. Though the relationship is between two people, it can sometimes be broader than that. Ruelle was not only Zachari's saving grace. She did the same for his family.

A quick google search will tell you that Black women are about three times more likely to die during childbirth than white women. Most of us know why: racism. The idea that black women are strong, that they can handle pain might sound nice but when people take that literally, it can be catastrophic. Though Kamora's mother had not died due to any malpractice, Zachari's family will always wonder if there was more the doctors could've done. That is the reality of being a black woman in this country.

Still, this family found strength and they survived. Some even thrived. In real life, not everyone is this lucky.

Finding Roots was about finding a foundation to build a home. Sometimes, your foundation can be slippery but if you find that it is worth it, fight for your home. Fight to grow your roots.

I hope this short story got all of these ideas across. I hope every single person who stumbles upon this book learns something, even if it's something silly. I hope the conversations within this novel were insightful and thought-provoking. In the end, I just hope you enjoyed reading.

Thank you for getting this far! It is always my pleasure to build these worlds and get inside these characters' minds.

Until next time,
Alisha <3