the beach

(Last week of freshman year of college)

It was Friday, and the class was talkative. The group they had the movie night with all planned to go to the beach, which was of course Armin's idea.
They all met up after last period, with beach clothes and towels, balls and other random things.
"I'm excited!" Sasha said, walking with Connie and Jean. "Same," Connie and Jean said together. "Jinx!" They said, at the same time. "Double jinx!" "Triple jinx!"
They all went in Armin's car. "Hey, why does the girlfriend get shotgun?" Jean whined jokingly.
Armin put on his sunglasses, and turned to flip off Jean in the mirror. Annie just laughed.
They rolled down the roof of the car, and turned on the radio. The Adults Are Talking by The Strokes started playing.
Eren and Mikasa started fighting over who would have to split a seat, which ended up in Eren being embarrassed that he had to sit on Mikasa's lap.
Sasha, Connie and Jean started to play I spy, although Armin ended up finding everything before they did.
When they pulled into the parking, everyone started to grab their things out of the car. They started a game of volleyball, which Jean was, for some reason, very good at.
"Let's go in the water!" Connie yelled. "Yeah!" Mikasa and Sasha agreed.
Armin pulled Annie's arm, but she wouldn't budge. "Hm? Come in the water with us!" Annie shook her head. "I don't want to... be in a swimsuit in front of everyone."
Armin laughed. "What?" Annie blushed. "I've never been very confident about my body," Armin lifted her chin up with his thumb. "But it's beautiful," Annie looked at him. "That's because you're you,"
Armin looked at her. "No, it's because I have good taste." Annie smiled. "Okay then,"
She took off her coverup, leaving her in a yellow polka-dotted swimsuit. "You look beautiful." Armin said, sincerely.
"Isn't it going to be cold?" Annie looked worried. The rest of them were looking at the two. "Come in, guys!" Mikasa yelled.
"Yeah," Armin smiled at Annie. He picked her up. "Armin-!" He started running to the ocean, with her in his hands. "Look! Isn't it beautiful?" Armin looked at it. "You find beauty in everything," Annie laughed.
"Not just everything, only things I really think are beautiful," Annie blushed. "You know what would make you more beautiful?" Armin questioned Annie.
He threw her into the water. "Armin! You little-" but he had already run away, laughing with Eren.
They splashed each other for hours, until the sun had set completely. They were all worn out, the others sitting on pool chairs farther up the beach. Armin and Annie sat on a towel right next to the waves.
They could hear seagulls from afar, the gentle splashing of waves on the shore and the occasional scream from the other kids.
"It's so nice here," Annie said, covering her and Armin with the towel. "I hoped you'd think so,"
She looked at him. "Thank you," he looked back at her. "Thank you, you made my experience so much better. We're going to have a great summer."
She snuggled closer to him, as he trapped her in a kiss. It was soft and gentle, them in one another's embrace. When they broke apart, they looked at each other for a moment. They turned to look at the dark sky, dotted with stars.

"The moon is beautiful, isn't it, sweater girl?"