Chapter 22

I swatted at the tall grass with the small branch in my hand. "I can't believe we decided to do this." I grumbled, gesturing to the rope made of what Arthur and I could use to possibly keep us together. "I suppose you have a better idea? Or shall we risk getting separated once again?" He smarted off. I rolled my eyes, not having a response. He was right, we both had no other option if we wanted to stay together to prevent something happening to us. Whatever that was back there meant for us to stay separated as if to confuse us.

This was our only option until we were safe once again. Who knew when that will be. But I didn't want to think about all the potential dangers right now. 

"What do you think that was Arthur?" I suddenly spoke, looking over at him as he adjusted the rope from around his waist. "I have no idea, but whatever it was, it's clearly trying to confuse us... We need to be together, as one, as much as possible until this is all over, Rose." He replied, trailing off in thought. 

I sighed, chewing on my lip, looking up at the darkening sky. I knew that soon we would have to sleep, and I was exhausted from everything that had occurred in the last 48 hours. I really needed to sleep. As if Arthur was thinking the same thing, he spoke up, "We should seek somewhere to build camp. Then we can figure out some sort of plan when we've relaxed and eaten." I nodded my head in agreement. After some searching, Arthur found a place for us to finally rest for the night. 

Arthur had built a small fire and was cooking a rabbit that he had caught while I gathered fire wood only a few feet away from him. Somehow, we managed to keep each other within a safe distance and be separated. We both figured the sound of our rope dragging would startle any potential food, so he told me that I wasn't allowed to go far to gather firewood. 

Now, happy and resting, Arthur tended to his sword, while I adjusted our rope so that it was a bit better for our adventure tomorrow. 

I peeked up at him, "Arthur, how did you get that sword?" I asked, curious. I had only heard gossip from around the village we had lived in but I didn't know for certain how it happened. Arthur paused and chuckled slightly, "It's a strange story, Rose." He began, going back to sharping his weapon. "My father was attacked by my uncle, who sought the swords power for himself. He wanted to kill my family so that he could be King and have ultimate power. But, what my dear uncle did not know, was that I had escaped, so the sword would go to me, when I eventually came back to claim it. I pulled it from the stone, making me the born King, obviously." He chuckled. "Well, then I'm sure you know the rest." He shrugged, leaning against the tree behind him. 

I sighed, curling up by the fire and watching the flames to the sound of a stone grazing against metal. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, my muscles finally relaxing and letting me drift off to sleep. 

I woke up in a strange place, somewhere cold, very, very cold. I leaned up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, "Hello?" I called into the space, earning a slight echo in return. 

"Rose!" Arthur's voice called to me, making my head snap in the direction of it. "Arthur?" I called back, looking around confused. I stood to my feet, trying to see anything, but the dim lighting made it hard to make out even the simplest of shapes. "Rose!" Olivia's voice called from the opposite direction, causing to me whirl around, "Olivia?" I shouted back. What was happening? 

"Rose!" Arthur called again, his voice sounded like he was in pain. I gazed over my shoulder towards his voice. I heard my name called once again by Olivia's voice, pleading me to go to her. I held my head as they both called my name in unison, my ears beginning to ring as their voices got louder and louder every time the said my name. I cried out, "Please, stop!" I covered my aching ears, but my cries were only smothered by their own. I shook my head, tears of confusion and pain rolling down my face. What was happening? Was this real? 

"Rose!" 

I gasped, shooting forward at the sound of Arthur's voice in my ear. I nearly hit my head with his, but luckily he moved backward. I was shaking so hard that Arthur had to hold my hands, "What's happening?" I whispered, looking into his blue orbs, fear gripping my heart. "You had a bad dream, I think... You were saying my name, and Olivia's, over and over. What happened?" He demanded, concern filling his ocean eyes. I shook my head, "I have no idea... I thought I heard you guys calling out to me... then it was like, it was from everywhere, then it got so loud that I couldn't even hear myself." I crossed my arms against my chest, rubbing my shoulders. 

"I right here, Rose. I'm not going anywhere," Arthur reassured. "That's not what I was afraid of..." I whispered, "I think whatever I dreamt of was the same thing that was trying to spilt us up... What if it's not a being, a physical being, what if it's a spirit? Something not physical?" I asked, looking passed him. "What do you mean?" 

"I didn't see anyone, neither you or Olivia appeared to me in my dream, only your voices... What if it it's like that?" Arthurs face showed realization. "The women who raised me, the spoke of things, that confuse people or lead people toward things... I think they called them wisps?" 

"Will-o'-the-wisps?" I whispered, "They lead people astray... I read a book of folklore of them once." I nodded my head, "It makes since..." Arthur spoke. "Do you think there will be more?" I asked him, making him sigh. "I'm not sure, but I think, at least for now, we're safe. Now that we know what to look for." 

"I think so." I nodded in reply. "You're quite smart, for someone who has never gotten out into the world." Arthur chuckled, sitting beside me. "I only got to read, I wasn't allowed to do things like this." I waved my hand, gesturing to the field in front of us. He smiled, wrapping his arm around me. "Bet it's a fine first adventure, isn't?" I smiled, "I guess you can call it that." 

"What?" 

"An adventure..." I shrugged, leaning into him. "What would you call it then?" I knew Arthur was trying to make me feel better by distracting me, so I decided to play along. "A fiasco." He laughed a light laugh. "A fiasco? That's a fancy word, Rose." I laughed, shaking my head. 

After a few hours of talking, I finally fell asleep again, Arthurs antics finally making me relieved enough to go back to sleep. This time, I didn't have a nightmare, and I didn't dream of the hooded woman either.

Sorry for the long space between updates, but, thank you for everyone who has read the book! And I promise that I will be working on it now, or at least try to! 

Hope you enjoyed the update :)