Chapter 14

"What are you doing back here?" I asked as we approached the camp. "It's a long story, I'll tell you later, when there's less people around." He said quietly as my father and some of the men that were in Arthur's traveling group approached us. "What was she doing in the water?" Merlin asked, as Arthur sat me on my feet. We looked at each other for a moment, then I turned to him, "I don't know," I replied. I stood there for a moment longer as Arthur wrapped a blanket around me, keeping the warmth in so I would freeze. 

The sun had set, and I was confused as to why Merlin hadn't woken me up. "What's going on?" my Father asked again. Arthur turned to the aged man, "I don't know, why don't you tell me, Merlin." My mouth fell open. Merlin stood there for a moment, baffled, "I have no idea what you're talking about." He tried to play a fool, as if he were actually confused by Arthur's words. 

"Don't play stupid with me old man, I know who you are. If you didn't think I wouldn't find out, you must be dumber than I thought," he looked around us, "especially if you thought you were safe in this open field." He held his arms out, clearly frustrated. 

Merlin sighed, giving up his ploy, shaking his head, "Well, my child, no sense in keeping up the facade. Yes, I am Merlin. And you, young king, know not of the land you stand on." Merlin took his cloak off, rubbing his hands together. "These fields lead to her Mother's lake. Just on the other side of the that stream she was in, is a protective barrier, where none can go unless you are strong of heart. Some try to go, some never come back, some never even get across the stream. The way I see it, you both are lucky you made it out of the stream, alive." I stood there, shocked still. Could he possibly be talking about the blue, glowing wisp I had seen? 

"What are you talking about?" Arthur asked as Merlin went to sit by the dying fire. Merlin saw this and with a wave of his hand and a low whisper, fire rose from the pit. I couldn't believe my eyes or my ears. Arthur looked to me, gesturing me to come sit by the fire. I followed behind him, closely watching the men interact with one another. The few men that accompanied Arthur also came to sit around the fire, intrigued with the older man. 

"In the light of things, there has been a spell put on the waters and field, to protect Viviane. She alone cannot protect herself from an onslaught of mages." 

"What kind of spell?" The salt and pepper haired man asked. Merlin looked at the man, "A dangerous spell. It doesn't care who you are, what you've done, or what your intent is, wether it be good or bad. It judges character, if you see it, then you're safe, if you do not, you will die." My head snapped at Arthur, Merlin of course noticed this. "You've seen it?" Merlin asked me, making me slowly look toward him, "There are all sorts of names for them. People in Scotland call them Will-o-the-Wisps, something of fate in nature. They can either lead you to ultimate happiness or to your doom. Here, we call them Sirens. Restless sprites that will drag you underneath the current. Sirens can be used on land or in the water, but they still have a deadly purpose." 

"You saw those things in the water?" Arthur asked me, "Your back was turned, I thought I had imagined it at first..." I trailed off, thinking about the experience I had with the being. "Arthur won't see it, he's a King." Merlin said, staring into the flames. "Why not?" I asked, quickly looking over at Arthur, who was looking at the powerful wizard. 

"No matter how fair and just a king is, they are never going to get past a Siren." Merlin shook his head. "What about a spell? If you can use a spell to create them, can't you use a spell to confuse them or distract them?" the second man asked, his dark skin catching the flame light and making his dark eyes dance as if they were beings themselves. 

"Siren's aren't dumb creatures. They are very intelligent beings. On the matter of casting spells, you can't remove the spell so you can cross either, the mages that oppose Viviane will know, as soon as the spell is lifted, they will cross and try to break into her castle." 

"How are you so sure?" The man asked. "If you don't think they don't have eyes on this stream, your mistaken. The only reason they aren't here this moment is because they themselves can't come here. This is sacred ground, no matter how evil a mage is, no evil or dark magic can be cast on these lands." 

"We all know that if there is some kind of pride thing involved, there isn't anything actually keeping them from coming onto this land." The salt and pepper haired man said, rolling his eyes. "The same spell that keeps them off this land, keeps them from crossing the stream, is the same spell that prevents even myself from seeing Viviane..." he spoke, his words coming out softer and softer as he trailed off. His voice sounded as if he were sad, and for a moment, it broke my heart. 

"Well, there has to be some way, someone has to cross the stream with Rose, she can't go by herself. It's too dangerous." Arthur said. "I agree, the girl cannot protect herself if something is on the other side," the older man said. "I second that, the girl has not fought a single day in her life- if she goes over there, it'll be suicide." 

The men bickered between themselves about what they could possibly do to protect me, saying that I cannot venture to the lake alone. I sat and listened to their voices, drowning out their words. The prospect of me going somewhere alone, journeying alone where there are creatures preventing other people from crossing, who knows what's on the other side of that stream. There could be dangerous things over there, I could die. I shivered at the thought of what could be over there. 

"No one can cross the stream with Rose. This is a venture he must do on her own," Merlin said, pausing for a moment. "And why not? This is outrageous. She cannot go on her own!" Arthur said, getting angry. "She must. She has to pass the test." 

"What test?" I asked, making the men shut up. They all looked at me, "To see if you're the one." Merlin replied. "The one?" 

"The one of the prophecy." 

"What prophecy? Everyone speaks of this prophecy but I know almost nothing about it." I rumbled, "How am I to know what I am if no one will tell me, everyone speaks in riddles, just tell me what I am!" 

"The Prophecy of the White Witch, the most powerful being... Ever."