Chapter 20

I tried to ignore the strange being behind us, but I just couldn't. There was no way for me to sleep comfortably, not knowing if that thing could come out of the water and kill us. Even if Arthur had the most powerful weapon on this Earth and I still didn't feel safe. 

I sat up, a thought coming to me. I looked over at Arthur, shaking him frantically, "Arthur! Arthur wake up!" I hissed, making him jump and speak a string of gibberish mixed with profanities. "Wha- what?" He glared at me, very clearly bothered that I woke him up. "The song! Remember the song that your mother used to sing to you?" I asked, making him frown at me. "What? Why did you wake me up just to ask me that?" He asked annoyed. "I think the song has to do with that creature." I said, looking to the mysterious animal that was in the river. His eyes followed, "What about the song?" He asked, waking up more and becoming conscious enough to understand what I was getting at.

"Um... how does it go... I can't remember exactly right this moment but... It has a bit in there about a thing with glowing eyes!" I gestured to the creature with the bright and obvious glowing eyes. 

Realization hit him. 

"The song wasn't just a song that our caretakers sang to us... It was meant to be burned into our memories, Arthur. For this reason. So that when we were old enough to do these... these trials... that we would know what to do." He looked back to me. "So the sirens, the glowing mist creatures, they must be the ones 'chose your foes wisely, to liars we don't take kindly.'..." 

"The song isn't in order... So maybe that's supposed to throw other's off when they try to do the trials on their own accord..." We looked at each other. "Along the winding road, the eyes of time glowed.' I whispered to myself, thinking about how and what that could have meant. "Along the winding road, the eyes of time glowed." I said again. 

We both looked back to the creature, who hadn't moved an inch since we first saw it. That's when it hit me. "Alexander. That creature, it's not what we think it is. It's a gatekeeper! I must be guarding the gate to get across the river." I stood to my feet, "What are you talking about!" He hissed, scrambling to his feet. "There is no way in a million years that could be-" 

A smart young lass... she could teach you a few things, young king. The creature's voice echoed around us. You both are what the other lacks... I hope that you are enough to bring this world out of the dark... and into the light...

We started at each other as the creature spoke to us through the darkness. "Did- did you just-" 

"Yeah- yep. I heard it. I have ears." Arthur managed to say as the creature moved. I jumped back, Arthur readying his sword incase he needed to protect us. The creature towered over us, it's long slender legs protruding from it's massive body. The creature moved away to reveal a long stone pathway through the river. You do not have long to cross before the rapids return... I suggest you move quickly and swiftly... The creature gave us enough to room to run past it. It didn't have to tell me twice. 

I sprinted toward the opening, not waiting for permission. I listened as Alexander shouted behind me, telling me to wait for him. "Come on Alexander, you heard it! Let's go before it's too late!" I waved him toward me. I stood at the water's edge, watching as he was rushing toward me. "Do not run off like that!" He hissed, coming up to me. "We may only have one chance! Let's get going!" I said, pulling him behind me. I listened to him as he grumbled a sling of obscenities, "Rose, slow down. Don't slip on the wet rocks." He reminded me. I nodded my head, "Yeah, yeah." I waved him off as we rushed over the slick stones that covered the bottom of the rushing river. 

Fish were flopping as we ran over them, one nearly tripping me in the process. Alexander quickly righted me, "Fuck sake, Rose! What did I just say!" He shouted. Just as I was about to apologize, the sound of splashing water overtook my voice, causing me to look behind him. "Arthur, I don't think we have an option now!" I pointed behind him. His gaze followed my pointed finger and his mouth fell open. "Run!" He shouted, yanking me so that he was now leading. "Arthur!" I screamed as the water began to close in on us. We had a long ways to travel and at this rate, we never were going to make it.