Chapter 19

We walked further into the field, Arthur humming a song to himself as we walked. I trailed behind him, focusing on my powers like he said to do. Though, I began to get frustrated. It seemed like my powers were only sparked in stressful situations instead of on command. I sighed angrily, causing Arthur to stop whistling and look at me. 

"Everything alright?" He asked, his blue eyes scanning my face. "Yeah, it's just- my powers, they don't seem to work?" I said, looking at my hands, "What do you mean?" He asked, resting his hands on the pommel of his legendary sword. "I don't know, they were just happening- left and right. But now, they seem to not want to work... I don't know what's going on..." I said, turning my hands over. I looked up at him, "Maybe I can't control them." 

"They're new, everything new must be learned." He said, walking toward me. "It may take some time, to adjust and to learn them... don't give up so easily. Just because they're not coming to you now, doesn't mean that they aren't working... After all, you were able to heal me on command." I nodded my head, sighing. "You do have a point... maybe... you can help me?" I offered. He pursed his lips in thought, "With?" 

"The newer one?" I shrugged. He took a step back, looking around for something. "What are you doing-" Before I could finish my sentence, Arthur threw a large rock at me. He threw himself on the ground as I put my hands up to guard myself, closing my eyes and bracing for impact. Just then, I felt the familiar tingling sensation as before and I heard a sharp cracking sound. I jump, yelping in surprise. I opened my eyes to see dust moving with the wind before disappearing. Arthur peaked his head over the knee high grass to look at me, a large smile plastered on his face. "I knew it!" He said, jumping back up, clapping his hands. "Your powers are protecting you. Any time you feel threatened, your powers will take over and protect you from your aggressor. Hence, the rock." 

He put his hands on his hips, looking around for a new one to throw at me. "Now, this time, don't close your damn eyes." He said, making my giggle. "And I'll try not to duck for cover." He leaned over and picked up a rock, shaking it in his hand, "Alright, ready?" He asked. I nodded my head, "Yes...?" 

He tossed the rock toward me, stepping to the side for safe measure. I held my hands up, and again, the tingling sensation came back and sure enough, blue sparks flew from my finger tips and disintegrated the rock. My mouth fell open as I watched the dust cloud float away as Arthur laughed. "Amazing! This is truly- wow. This is something." 

We sat there for a while, testing my ability with various amounts of sticks and rocks until Arthur was satisfied. "Alright, now, that's done with. I'm sure any other one you would like to try out, we can try later. Now we know that you can at least control them," he said, coming to me. "Let's get going. I hear water nearby." 

"Water? I can't hear anything but the grass moving." I said, looking around to see if maybe I could see a stream or river. He tapped his ear, "It's something that's developed after I began welding the sword." He said, pulling me by my arm. We began to walk again, in silence once again. I was happy that I knew that these strange abilities of mine can be controlled, but I still had two others I needed to control, or maybe not. Maybe I wouldn't be able to control them... 

I looked up when I heard the faint noise of running water, the sound making me stop thinking about my powers for a moment. "What the-" Arthur held his arm up to stop me. I gasped, there was no way we would be able to cross this without a boat. 

The wide river in front of us was running rampant, large rocks sticking out of the strong currents causing the water to spray wildly around it and over it. I looked up to Arthur, "How are we to cross? The water is too dangerous to try and wade through it." I whispered, my voice somehow escaping me. I never felt so helpless, there was no way of crossing this damn river and there certainly was no boat to even attempt it.