Chapter 8

Arthur and I sat in peaceful stillness, filled with the sporadic noise of a page turn and his slow breathing.

I munched on my thumb as I read, absorbing the message from the records Arthur let me read like a sponge. Arthur had done so many unbelievable and fascinating things in his lifetime and he wasn't even 30! Fighting a King, running a nation, making new judicial systems and so much more! I poured over the pages, reading Arthur's most secret philosophies. I couldn't believe he loaned me so much.

"Rose?" He requested from across the room, making me look up, "Hmm?"

"Do you have a family?" He questioned, his cerulean eyes pouring into my hazel ones. "Uh, I was given up by my parents. They were too poor to raise me themselves, Lord and Lady Blackshire paid a pretty penny for me," I murmured, not trying to linger on the sensitive topic for too long. "I'm sorry- I didn't mean to get too personal," Arthur confessed smiling.

"Don't worry, to be fair, you're letting me read your journals. That's more than I just shared and then some," I replied, closing one of Arthur's journals. "Fair enough," He answered, tossing a pencil on his table. "Tell me, Rose," He spoke, leaning back in his chair, "how well did you know your friend, Olivia?"

His question took me by wonderment, "Uh, I've known Olivia my whole life. We came to live with the Blackshire's at an early age. She and I are almost the same age," I confessed thinking back to my friend. Who knows what or who has her right now.

"She's always been very generous to me. Pushing me to be bold and to stand up for myself when our Mistress was relentless." I muttered, looking down at my digits. "She's the only friend I've ever known."

"I don't really know what to say," He replied softly, "we've come to believe that your friend Olivia was working with the people who attacked the castle, to injure you." I stared up at Arthur terrified, "What?" I paused at a loss for words. "A guard had seen your friend allowing hooded intruders through a secret tunnel. She was not operating alone, she was serving someone in the palace. Do you know if she was friends with anyone there?" I shook my head, "No, Olivia and I were locked in our rooms at night and only ever went out when our Mistress left home, which wasn't often."

"Anyone in the home that she might have been friends with?" He pried. I attempted to think of anyone that Olivia might have spoken to. But I couldn't think of any. I shook my head, "Not right now, Olivia and I spent our days together, carrying out tasks we were given by Lady Blackshire, collectively. I can't think of a moment we were apart," I recuperated, covering my face. Could my nearest and dearest friend be the one who let those dreadful people in? Did she want to hurt me? I thought we were friends?

I exhaled a trembling breath, "How sure are you that it was her?" I urged not looking at Arthur. "Completely. My source is certain that it was your friend, Olivia." I bowed my head, a tear sliding down my cheek, "Did anyone else see her?" I demanded looking at my lap, avoiding Arthur's gaze. "The guard was the only one to see her let them in... he was interviewed extensively by yours truly after my source told me what happened, I felt bad for the man..." he admitted.

I clenched my jaw, looking away from Arthur, trying my best to not give in to crying. I didn't want to believe my life long friend, my beloved Olivia, could have been accountable for what happened. I denied believing what Arthur was telling me. I stood up, going to the entrance, looking into the shadowy corridor. "It's absurd," I muttered, mostly to myself as I did my best not to cry. "I thought the same thing when I discovered my uncle killed my mother and father. Along with his wife and his daughter. Anyone can do anything, given the right price. Selfishness is the worst immorality," Arthur appeared behind me. "I know you don't want to believe me, and that's ok. You hardly know me, but I am telling you the truth, Rose." He touched my shoulder, trying to soothe me.

I tried my best not to recoil away, but I was confused and bitter, the lack of normalcy of a man's touch didn't help. My body inherently faltered, "Sorry- I-," I began to deplore, holding myself, "I'm not used to a man supporting me." I admitted looking away from Arthur. "It's alright," Arthur stated, pulling his hand away from me, "I understand, you were raised differently than I was." He chuckled lightly. "We don't have to talk about this anymore, ok?" He replied. I nodded in response, "I'm sorry that I agitated you. I just thought I should let you know,"

"What's going to happen to her?" I asked before he left or declined to speak to me. "Well, she isn't going to have wanted posters or anything. That will raise the alarm for whoever plotted against us."

"Did they want to hurt me?"

"Yes. They were searching for you, a reason I still haven't been able to discover yet. The one's we succeeded to catch will not give any knowledge up, they haven't been accommodating. But they've been faithful to whoever they work for," he muttered, mostly to himself. I breathed, "I would like to rest, it's been an exhausting few hours and my journey was stressful," I stepped passed Arthur. "Rest. I have somethings I have to attend to, I will return soon." He watched as I laid on the bed, settling in. "Sweet dreams, Rose." He said from the doorway. He stood there for a while, before leaving me alone.

I sighed, shutting my eyes trying my best to not cry and losing miserably. A briny tear rolled down my cheek to the pillow below my head. If Arthur was telling the truth about that Olivia was trying to help someone hurt me, then why? Why would someone, who has been my friend, my confidant, my sister, betray me? My heart pained from the awareness that Olivia must have had a secret agenda, one that made her into a stranger.

If that was the case, was Olivia even her real name? How long has she been planning this? Has she been lying to me my whole life?

I cried, rolling into a ball hugging myself as I began to cry into my sleeves. My life was exceptional only a few days ago. I had a friend who adored me. I had a roof over my head. I had a possible future. Now, I was in a hole in the heart of nowhere, with a complete stranger and alone. No matter how much Arthur and I revealed to one another, that wouldn't replace years of trust, bonding, and love that Olivia managed to destroy in just a few days.

Was this going to be my life from now on? Remaining in hiding?

Even if they capture Olivia, what is the chance that she will give anything up? Arthur even said that the invaders had been questioned and continue to refuse to give anything up. Who's to say that Olivia won't do the same? So many questions swirled around my mind as I laid alone in the bed, crying noiselessly. I just wanted to feel normal again, and something was telling me that I was never going to have that ever again, or at least not for a very long time.Sorry for the late ass updates! I hope you all are enjoying the book so far and do you ship Arthur and Rose? 

Thoughts in the comments?? 

Much love!!