Preparations

"So you think we should ask him to go with both of us?..." Essex asked as she and Enterprise spoke in the Commanders office before he arrived for the morning.

"Well I was actually thinking just you could ask him...", Enterprise responded with a slight smile.

"W-What?!!! Y-You're the b-better secretary! It should be you who goes with him...", Essex responded. Her zeal fading as she spoke and realised what she was saying.

A soft expression formed on Enterprise's face as she stepped forward and patted Essex on the shoulder.

"Don't put yourself down, I know he'd love to go with you", she then added as Essex looked up at her with a surprised expression.

"I-I...", Essex muttered as her face turn a shade of red.

"Maybe I...", she added as her heart began to pound in her chest.

"I would really like to go with him but there's no way I could gather the courage to ask", she then thought to herself as she opened her mouth to respond to Enterprise.

"Morning ladies", the Commander then greeted happily as he entered the room and walked towards his desk. As he did so he smiled towards Enterprise and then Essex.

As he did so he noticed her bright red face and asked, "Are you alright Essex? You look a little-"

However he was cut off by Essex quickly looking away and muttering, "I'm fine."

"Okay I just-", The Commander tried to add. Once again being cut off by Essex.

"I-I need to get some air...", She muttered as she avoided eye contact with either of them.

"Alright...", the Commander replied as Enterprise let out a sigh.

"What's been up with her lately Enterprise?"

Enterprise giggled for a moment before responding, "You're so mean to her Commander, toying with her poor little heart~"

"B-But I uh...", He stuttered out. Not even fully sure what Enterprise meant.

Enterprise Chuckled and responded as she started top walk out of the office after Essex, "I'll talk to her again. This is becoming almost routine at this point"

"What the hell is going on with those two?...", The Commander then thought aloud to himself as he slumped into his chair and looked up at the ceiling.

---Timeskip: Essex and Enterprise POV---

"There you are", Enterprise announced as she found Essex sitting on the end of one of the docks at the edge of the base.

"Why did you follow me?", Essex asked as she stared out to sea.

"Because I care about you and want to make sure you're alright"

Essex let out a sigh at her words, "I'm fine and I've come up with a solution to our problem...""Okay...", Enterprise muttered with a unsure tone.

"Y-You stay his s-secretary and g-go to the dance and I-I'll just... J-Just... G-Get out of you w-way...", Essex then added with a whimper. Tears running down her face as she began to sob into her hands.

"Come here", Enterprise said as she sat down beside her and pulled her close.

"You know the Commander would never forgive me if I let you do that"

"W-What do you mean?...", Essex asked between sniffles.

"He cares about you much more than you realize"

Essex gasped for a moment at her words and felt herself think back to all the time she'd spent with the Commander and how happy he made her feel.

"B-But y-you're s-so p-perfect Senpai!", Essex then yelled out. Still sniffling and sobbing as she did so.

"I'm not so great", Enterprise replied with a chuckle.

"Plus, you have on advantage over me in this regard"

"W-What's that?..."

"The Commander loves you"

Upon hearing these words Essex's heart began to pound even faster and she clenched her eyes shut.

"H-He can't!", she yelled again as she squeezed Enterprise tightly and buried her face in her chest.

Enterprise stroked Essex's head softly and ran her fingers through her hair.

"He does, it's obvious to everyone", Enterprise then added with a giggle.

"But...", Essex then started with a sniffle.

"Plus it's also obvious that you love him~", Enterprise then whispered. Bursting into laughter as Essex squeezed her tightly again and yelled.

"I-I...", she opened her mouth to retort but stopped herself as the words caught in her mouth.

"Hard to deny the truth isn't it?"

"But if he l-loves me t-then w-why would he l-let us b-both be his s-secretaries?..."

"Because he's so kind that's why", Enterprise responded with a smile as she wiped away a few of Essex's tears.

"I enjoy being with the Commander very much... But I know how you feel about him so I've perused nothing more than a working relationship with him..."

"Senpai... Y-You...", Essex then muttered as she looked up towards Enterprise as realization hit her.

"T-Thank you Senpai!", Essex yelled. Lunging forward and hugging her tightly yet again.

"It's alright", Enterprise said. Letting a single tear run down her face as she held Essex tightly against her and rubbed her back.

"Now, let's go tell the Commander that you want to go to the dance shall we?", Enterprise added as she rose to her feet and helped Essex do the same.

Essex let out a few sniffles as they parted and looked down at her feet for a moment before speaking.

"I-I'm s-so sorry Senpai... I-I had no idea...", She muttered as she rose her head and looked into Enterprise's eyes.

"It's okay", Enterprise said with a confident tone as she put her arm around Essex's shoulder and began to lead her back towards the base. Taking a moment to wipe away the single tear with her free hand.