𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

༺⊰-------------------------------------------------⊱༻

CHAPTER THREE,
higher statuses

❝  couldn't do with all the responsibilities  ❞

couldn't do with all the responsibilities

༺⊰-------------------------------------------------⊱༻

THE COURT OF FRIGGA meetings were one of the few ways the individuals were able to venture out with other citizens. Primarily the day consisted of the future court consisting of the chosen predecessors, which were typically the daughters of the current court, accompanying their mothers during their political rounds within the vicinity they were designated to travel to. What better to keep peace to the nine realms than a group of women parading themselves to the masses was what would shortly be put by Lena as she had put to her friend when reminded her of the rendezvous.

As royalty, the court resided in the Royal Palace of Valaskjalf, other regions rested outside of the palace and saw the status of the courts arrival as a matter of great pride to attest to. Beaming at the ladies, the queen, the status. Evanora could imagine her friend voicing her complaints of the show the visits made themselves to be, but paid no mind to it. Her friend was now secluded to Nornheim now, thinking she would appreciate traveling even if it meant spreading a few smiles and tests of endearment.

Currently the women were situated for their luncheon of which the young girl enjoyed best. Running through the garden she didn't mind the bottom of her dress soaking in mud as she began to gather the flowers. The others had situated in a circle with the smallest of plants, twisting them into crowns to exchange with one another. One of them, the daughter of Sigrid, looked over to Evanora in the midst of her solo adventure and laughed under her breath. "Your mother will be furious with you."

She lifted her head and disagreed immediately. "My mother encourages it actually. She likes the wild-flowers." Twirling the bouquet in her hand she smiled fondly. "My father used to get them for her when he was courting her. Took it rather seriously actually."

Harokin and Oydis. Her mother a lady of the court just as she still is and finding the idea of marrying a member of the Einherjar to be disastrous. The war between the realms was still costly and finding the idea of marrying a man who could very be gone just as quickly came at no desire. Yet Harokin had been consistent to attain her hand. He had known that Lady Oydis was who he was meant to be intertwined with. The stories of their courtship happily being told to their daughter, Evanora, who beamed over her parents sharing such a grand love.

Her eyes glanced up to the older ladies at the table still sipping their drinks and conversing with one another. Attempting to read their lips proved to be a difficult feat as if they were avoiding being listened to. Soon catching an eye noticing her presence Evanora stiffened once seeing it was the attention of the queen. The woman only smiled in her direction, giving a wave of her hand before addressing the group.

Confused by the action Evanora soon realized what it was she had done, feeling the top of her head was now also adorned with a flower crown of her own. The young girls around her laughed with enthusiasm and waved a hand to her to view the item that had materialized closer. Magic. Asgardian Magic.

"You think you're going to marry yourself a prince, Evanora?"

She shook off the accusation and remained with her head held high. "Don't need to marry a prince, couldn't do with all the responsibilities."

"We know." The girls echoed and all laughed at her expense to have her scowl at them.

Another lady raised a hand to voice her own suggestions. "Your father is surrounded by warriors. Suppose he's picking one out for you now in his training ranks."

While they laughed over the suggestion Evanora only gauged over the idea. Her father hardly let her around the training rooms when he was in duty so she couldn't imagine herself married to them. The honor of the fight would always win out. She had no desire to compete with that. "I'd rather not even think of it."

The eldest held a hand to cover her mouth as if attempting to be shy though it all pertained to the act that she was handling leaving for the attention to drift away from Evanora and to her instead. "My parents informed me that I may have myself a chance— with a prince that is. If they're able to unite the families it would only do wonders for their status. My mother is already so close to Frigga." The girl swooned over the idea. "Imagine me, future Queen? Oh, what a dream."

Rolling her eyes over the idea, Evanora played with the ends of the petals dreamily. She had imagined what it was her parents intended for her. The studies, the manners, everything was meant for courting. Though she hoped they serve some more of a purpose than simply finding her a good husband. She wanted to be involved in keeping peace between the realms. Maybe serving as an advisor or— The more the girl thought of it she realized none of it suited her.

Being a Queen? Too much responsibility. A lady of the court? Never enough. Becoming a warrior? Endless training and schedules she couldn't be patient enough to endure. She hated rules and the outdated traditions that she had grown up on and followed.

Her eyes glanced up again to the older women as she fixated on the idea. Maybe she'd get involved in theatre and run away with a troop at this rate. Suddenly laughing in enthusiasm over imagining the idea the other girls looked to her concerned over the sudden reaction. "You alright, Evanora?"

Nodding happily she placed both hands on her waist to further her exaggeration. "Never been better, ladies. Never. Been. Better." The other girls only laughed over her antics as they drifted away into their conversations.

⋆₊˚꒰꒰ ୧

COME NIGHTFALL Evanora situated herself on the window of her bedroom, carefully braided her way as she got herself ready for bed. Her thoughts ran back to this evening. How she felt herself rather naïve, assuming she had any day in what she was able to make of her life. She was so young, so much time ahead of her. What with the responsibilities that seem to come with upper-class, however, it seemed to dissipate the longer she focused on it. Even running with a theatre troop soon lacked the wonder she initially had for the idea this afternoon.

Even in the worst case she could find a suitor and have it be entirely the doing of her parents whether she had been aware of it or not. Evanora was familiar with this case as well. Of older women finding their matches of which were of complete accordance with status and yet, the families had been behind the scenes at all times without their knowing. Having at least some idea of the matchmaking would be better in this case.

Resting among her bedspread she continued to stare up at the ceiling overhead still fixated on her thoughts. She reached her hand for a moment, imagining the sisters of Nornheim and ultimately wondering what her friend was up to at this hour by proxy. Imitating their gestures Evanora smiled in amusement imagining herself a sorceress of high stature like her friend.

Whatever the case of her future it was hard to foresee. Only time, continuing onward, would bring her closer to the answers she wanted immediately.