Epilogue

Van

High-pitched children's squeals floated in the warm, mid-summer air. A gentle breeze carried the sound through the trees and rustled the leaves. Van shifted from his wolf into human form and quickly put on the clothes he'd stashed before the morning patrol. He and Stitch had made a habit of taking a patrol shift once a week, partly to give the guards a break and partly to keep in touch with things happening in the pack. The hours running the border gave them a chance to keep their friendship strong as well.

Reaching the edge of the tree line, Van paused to enjoy the scene before him. A few of the youngest wolf pups ran around the back lawn, chasing each other in a game of tag. One of them was Goggle's pup, a fact that still baffled Van at times. Goggles... a father!

On the patio of his parents' house, a happy gathering of the people he loved most in the world sat in chairs watching the pups play. His dad left his chair to join the game, while his mom watched with a big smile on her face. His grandparents, Adrian and Sierra, had come for a visit, their pack enjoying a time of peace that allowed the alpha and luna to leave the territory. Ever since the truth of the guardian came out, Grandma Sierra had started showing a bit more of her age. She was still young for a werewolf, but a few strands of her hair had already turned silver.

Van smiled as his grandparents shared a special look. Their story was his favorite of all the family stories—besides his own—and he loved watching them together. Anyone could see that that their love was magnified by their mate bond, not simply created by it. Without knowing anything of the guardian Sierra hosted, they worked through some serious threats and challenges. At the end, they were stronger together, and they still ruled as co-alphas.

Next to his grandparents sat another unconventional pair: Liesel the witch and her werewolf mate. In helping Zoey and never complaining about her lack of magic, Liesel had somehow regained favor in the Moon Goddess's eyes. Shortly after Van and Zoey had woken up, she discovered that some of her magic had returned. Over the past few years, she'd regained almost all of the power she once had. She still had the limp, but otherwise she was recovered. Her old coven had sent an emissary to escort her back, but she had chosen to stay with the pack. A good thing too, because she met her mate a few weeks later. No one had questioned the pair, as the return of her magic had been strange enough. In fact, most of the pack was delighted to know she wasn't leaving.

Van's gaze shifted to the fainting couch that had been carried out onto the patio. He left the shadows of the trees and jogged across the lawn to join the group. The pups darted out of his way and waved their greetings. Van jumped up the couple stairs onto the patio and paused beside his mom's chair.

"How was patrol this morning?" she asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Quiet," he answered, pecking her on the cheek. "Nothing to report." He nodded toward the figured curled up on the couch a few feet away. "How is she?"

Luna Karina leaned forward to glance at her daughter-in-law. "She's fine. The fresh air is definitely doing her good."

Van nodded and took a couple quiet steps to the couch. Perching on the edge of the cushion, he draped an arm across Zoey's shoulders and leaned forward to press a kiss to her forehead. The contact roused her from her snooze, and her eyes fluttered open.

"You're back," she murmured in a sleepy voice.

"Mm hmm." He nuzzled her nose with his and tightened his arm around her. "Are you okay? You were snoozing mid-morning."

"I'm fine, Van. The fresh air and warmth of the sunshine was very calming. I just dozed off. Now that you're back, I'll be fully awake."

"I'm glad to hear it." He ducked his head and captured her mouth in a quick kiss. He would have kissed her longer, but the presence of his parents and grandparents kept him moderately in check.