Chapter 12

Zoey

To say that Van's attitude vastly changed was a pleasant daydream. He lost a bit of his ever-present edge, but he was still looked at me like a problem to solve. Stitch's kindness balanced it out, so I told myself not to worry about it. He didn't have to like me to help me, but it would certainly make the process a little easier.

Van organized a morning run with his team every morning, so I got used to waking up in an empty room and seeing myself down to breakfast with Luna. She'd tell me stories over coffee, and I started to trust her with bits of my history. She promised to keep anything I told her confidential unless I gave her permission to tell Alpha Lucas or Van. She never gave me a reason to doubt her, and I clung to her confidence like a lifeline.

Most mornings, Van would leave a note on the table beside the couch or have a message delivered at breakfast. He seemed content with a 'hands off' approach, and I accepted it. He and the team were still scouting for a location, so everything was waiting for that piece to fall into place.

"Morning, Zoey."

I looked up from my breakfast to see Stitch emerge from the house onto the patio. "Morning, Stitch. What brings you out here? Don't you usually eat with the guys?"

He shrugged and pointed to the chair opposite me. "Do you mind?"

"Uh, sure. Go ahead." Luna hadn't come back from the kitchen yet, but there were two other chairs at the patio table where she could sit. I didn't mind the additional company.

"I wanted to talk to you about something," he announced as he sank into his chair.

"Okay..."

He snagged a cinnamon roll off the platter before launching into his thought. "I'd like to train you. You said that you haven't had any kind of formal training in a while, and every wolf should have some basic self-defense knowledge."

My wolf perked to attention, and I took a sip of coffee as the suggested seeped into my brain. Training... like a normal wolf. He wanted to make sure that I could at least protect myself. Since it was Stitch suggesting it, I wouldn't feel overrun or battered down when the extend of my weakness came out.

"What does Van think about it?" I dared to ask.

"He approves," Stitch answered with a wink. "He even offered to help if you want."

I willed myself not to flinch at the thought. "I... I'd rather not give him more opportunity to judge me. But if you're willing to help me regain some of the skills I've lost, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Stitch."

He grinned, clearly pleased with my response. "Excellent! We'll work somewhere private, away from prying eyes until you're more comfortable."

Thank goodness, my wolf sighed. I thought we'd have to train with everyone else. That would be stressful.

Stitch wouldn't put us through that, I told her. But I'm a little curious about why he cares all of the sudden.. Yes, he clearly sees that I'm weak; but why does it matter if I'm just a mission?

She was silent for a moment. He's... tried reaching out.

I froze. I hadn't noticed him trying to connect with my wolf. Keeping her hidden was a specific move on my part. We had no idea how weak she would be if I let her out... and that would only happen if I could even shift. I hadn't shifted in years, and the thought of trying terrified me because it would probably hurt like a First Shift.

I haven't let him connect with me, my wolf promised. I retreat as soon as I sense him trying. He might have suggested the training as a way to break down your walls and let him reach me.