Chapter 7

Zoey

Now that we'd found some kind of general, neutral ground, Luna had insisted that I would be able to stay in her son's room again. I knew that she was right, but I couldn't deny that thinking about sleeping in the same room as him gave me a little shiver. Yes, he'd laid down the rules of who would be where; but he'd still be in the same room with no walls or barriers between us.

I knocked on the door and waited outside, unsure if I was allowed to just let myself in or not. A few moments later, the door swung open to reveal the man himself in the doorway. We stared at each other for a long moment before he finally stepped back and waved me in.

"I suppose you should be allowed to come in without knocking," he muttered. "Just knock as a warning, that way we'll avoid any awkward revealings."

I didn't have to ponder long to understand what he meant by 'awkward revealings'. Speaking to him proved to unpleasant enough, so I would certainly try to avoid situations that would make it even more uncomfortable.

"Do you have a routine?" I quietly asked as I made my way to the couch. "I can work around it if I know when you're going to be... here."

"I'm not used to being here," he answered somewhere in the room. "Besides, being on mission doesn't give a person the chance to develop any routines."

So it would be a guessing game as to when we'd both be in the room. Fabulous.

"I'll try to stay out of your way," I announced, grabbing my pajamas and turning towards the bathroom...

...which is exactly where he had gone. The door closed with a gentle click, and I sighed. A routine would be greatly appreciated, although I hoped that I wouldn't be here long enough for us to develop a new routine. Maybe I'd be able to figure out his schedule over the next couple days.

A gentle knock on the door paused my thoughts. I looked up from my pajamas as Luna stepped into the room. She took one look at me before glancing towards the closed bathroom door. The sounds of the shower filtered through the door.

Luna sighed as I sank onto the couch. "He's just being moody because his team has been grounded... and because he's not allowed to act like the high-nosed prince he's used to. He'll settle down in a day or two."

I nodded. "I'm trying not to take anything personally at this point."

"You shouldn't... at any point. For now, go take your shower in my room. It's been quite the day, and I don't want you waiting to go to bed because my son chooses to act like a toddler who had his toy taken away."

My wolf gave a little snort at the mental picture, especially because it had enough truth in it. I allowed myself a tiny smile as I threw a few extra things into the bag I was making from my sweatshirt. Luna could speak of her son however she wished; she was his mother. Even if he didn't wholly respect her as his mother, he wouldn't dare talk back to her as his luna. That defined difference gave me a strange sense of comfort and justice. Not that I would actually use it, but it made me feel better knowing that she was fighting for me.

Van

He hadn't expected the girl... Zoey... to move back into his room so quickly. Yet, she'd appeared and seemed to expect to stay the night. And her question about his 'routine'? Ha... Didn't she know anything about military schedules?

Exiting his bathroom after a satisfying shower, he pulled up short at the sight of his mother lounging on the foot of his bed. This was the second time in a few days where she'd let herself in, and he very much hoped that this wouldn't become a habit.

"Mom? What's up?"

She slowly rose to her feet and tossed him a clean shirt. He'd gotten used to not wearing one while sleeping in the barracks with his guys. That would probably need to change with a girl guest in his room.