Chapter 3

Van

It had been hours with no suspicious activities. The guests had taken a walk with someone out the back, but that hadn't raised any concerns. They'd returned for lunch, spent time inside, and were finally leaving.

"Van."

Van blinked himself into focus as Goggles nudged him again. "Are they leaving?"

"Yeah, but something's off."

He ground his teeth. So close to being an uneventful mission. "What's up?"

"They loaded a box into the back of the car, but I'm picking up a heat signature from inside of the box."

Van grabbed the tablet and stared at the screen. "Why is it purple?"

"They've somehow cloaked the person's heat and scent. They're the only ones who know that someone's in there. But there's more." Goggles tapped on the screen to focus on an upstairs bedroom. A single heat signature slowly moved around, but it was also purple.

"Three people went into that room," Goggles. "Including the one in the box, three came out again."

Van pointed at the heat signature. "So who's that?"

"I think they've somehow duplicated one of their scents and heat; for all purposes, anyone will think that there is someone in the room."

Van sat back on his heels, taking in the whole scenario. "So they're sneaking someone out."

"It would appear so," Goggles agreed. "Do we interfere?"

Van glanced at his comrade. "And stop them from saving someone from this wretched pack? No, we do nothing besides what we came here to do. We make sure that they leave safely, and we go home."

"Very good, Boss."

Van rubbed his eyes and watched the car slowly creep towards the gate. They were a 10-minute drive from being clear. Stitch and Snuff were already in position en route to the border. This new development would hopefully go unnoticed until the car left the territory.

"Do you want me to stay and watch the house?" Goggles asked as the car passed through the gate.

"You got a track on the car?"

Goggles nodded. "GPS location, thermal image tracking, the works. I can essentially see everything."

"Good," Van sighed. "We'll stay until we hear that they've crossed the border. Then we'll head out to ex-field."

"Do you think they'll make the border, Boss? Their duplicate scheme is great, but as soon as someone goes into that upstairs room, they'll be sending guards after the car," Goggles noted.

"Boss," Stitch's voice crackled over the comms. "The car's picking up speed a little. Any activity at the house?"

Goggles glanced at the tablet and shook his head.

Van clicked his mic. "All clear at the house so far. You guys have a visual then?"

"Yep; we picked them up. Let us know if something happens at the house."

"...better not," Van muttered.

For a tense few minutes, the comms were silent as each set watched their primaries. Van kept a side view on the tablet and the heat signatures in the house, especially the purple one in that upper bedroom. If anyone approached that bedroom, things would change fast. They'd have to be ready to move.

"Here we go," Goggles announced, tapping the tablet screen. Under his finger, an orange heat signature moved toward that upstairs room. If the bedroom door opened...