chapter 7

madison's POV

i think i fell asleep on the sofa last night and amelia had gone to bed. i wake up in the most uncomfortable position so i get up and decide to make myself some breakfast. i head to the kitchen and grab some yogurt and fruit out of the fridge. at this moment, i think that amelia might want something too. i grab another bowl out of the cupboard and spilt the yogurt into both. i begin laying fruit onto the yogurt, trying to make a pretty pattern when amelia startles me.

"morning madison!" she says as she walks into the kitchen. i immediately shuffle infront of the bowls and scoop the pots of food into my hands in attempt to hide it. "what are you hiding?"

"nothing amelia, i'm not hiding anything, but you can't be in here. i'm doing something and it's a secret and i'm nearly done. you will find out in a second i promise." i say

"okay okay i will be in the living room if you need me" amelia says as she walks out.

i search the cupboards for granola and of course it is in the last cupboard i look in. i pour some over half the bowl of yogurt and put everything away. it looks delicious, so hopefully amelia likes this sort of thing. i grab the bowls and head into the living room.

"1 tasty bowl of yogurt and fruit, sprinkled with granola," i say handing her one of the bowls. "just for you."

"well that sounds fancy" she giggles, putting a spoonful of it into her mouth. "wow that is delicious." she continues to eat it. "come sit down then" i sit down next to her and we watch the TV together for a while

amelia's POV

i still can't believe madison made me breakfast. i don't know whether it was just because she was bored or whether she got up to make us both breakfast or whether she did something bad and wanted to put me in a good mood before i found out, whatever the reason i am very grateful. it shows me that she can be independent and she doesn't actually need me to be here 24/7. she can make things work here by herself. i had been taking personal days for the past 4 days, but i don't know how much longer i can go without people asking questions. i had no reason to not be at the hospital and only meredith and maggie knew the real reason i wasn't in. i just hope they haven't told anyone because i don't know what they will think. everyone will find out; it's pretty difficult to keep secrets in that place. i do still really want to go back, i miss it. i know i will miss being with madison, but i still have to work and she will have to go back to school eventually.

"amelia, are you okay? you look a little distressed" madison asks

"yes yes, i'm fine, but i do need to talk to you about something." i say nervously.

"okay, what is it?" she asks turning towards me

"umm so as you know, i am a surgeon, a neurosurgeon and i work and grey-sloan memorial hospital. i am going to need to go back at some point. i have just been taking personal days but i can't keep doing it otherwise people are going to ask questions."

"you don't want people to know about me?" she sounded upset.

"no no, i don't care if people know about you, i just need some time to prepare before i tell them. please know that eventually everyone who needs to know will and i am not going to hide you as if you are a secret, okay? but back to what i was saying, my patients need me and i was thinking that maybe next week i could go in for a couple days, but i wanted to check what you thought first." madison stays silent for a minute.

"okay, you can go. there are people who need you more than me, will i stay here all day?"

"if that is alright with you? i'm not exactly sure where else i could take you for the day. at some point i will take you to the hospital with me to give you a little tour of where i work, but until then, i think it is best for you to stay here."

"okay, i can stay here. you have done so much for me these past few days so the least i can do it let you go back to work and do something you enjoy. of course i will miss you, but i reckon i can survive a few hours without you."

"thank you so much madison." i pull her into a hug "you're the best"

i can tell that madison really doesn't want me to go, but i have to. i need to. i want to stay with her. i really do, but i miss work, and my friends. meredith and maggie better not have said anything to the others. i didn't explicitly ask them not to tell anyone, but i hope they will take it upon themselves to keep it secret. i don't think meredith has told the kids either. she would have told derek if he was here. i would have probably told him myself, he was the best brother i could have ever wished for. after dad died he really looked after me, through my addiction, through my relapse, through everything. tears begin to form in my eyes just thinking of him.

"hey amelia, don't be upset, i'm going to be okay." oh no, madison has noticed something is up.

"i'm not upset about that, i'm okay," i say as a tear rolls down my cheek. madison comes and hugs me and i wrap my arms tightly around her. "it's my brother. i was just thinking about him. he died years ago in a car accident. i'll be okay." madison says nothing. instead, she drags me to the sofa so she can wrap her arms around my waist. i open my arms and she snuggles in. i love having her next to me, it was like i had known her for years. we just clicked so well and now i feel like i can call her family.