Fox 28

(Throwback from when Pepperjack was a puppy.) 

Sitting up in Owen's bed, Fox glanced around the room. He'd decided to skip following them to class this time, saying that he wasn't feeling quite up to it the night before. Of course, that had been a partial lie. He loved following Owen, and didn't even mind going with Amos, but he did want a break from the extra people. He was getting used to them after a week, at least... but everything in moderation. Especially humans. 

After a quick stretch and a few extra nuzzles against Owen's pillow, Fox slipped out of bed and headed for the bathroom. Both of them had liked it when he'd taken a shower a while ago, so he decided to try it again. 

Of course, this time he was a bit more nervous since he was by himself, but it wasn't a bath, so the chance of drowning was much lower. 

The memory of when he'd been in Noah's home and slid beneath the water sent a shiver down his spine. Henry had definitely saved his life. He thought about calling the man, and definitely Noah, but the time didn't seem right. He also didn't have his own phone, so he'd have to wait until either Amos or Owen came back. 

Something to think about later, then. 

He leaned over and started turning the knobs to set the temperature, taking a while since his impatience didn't help as he spun the things back and forth. When he finally figured out how to get it hot, he turned it as high as he could bare, then stepped in and flopped down onto his belly. 

This was a good idea. I'm a happy cooking noodle again. 

He stayed that way for a few minutes before rolling over, his legs bent up to fit himself in the tub better. Not being one to keep track of time, he didn't bother actually starting to wash his body until the water began to get cool. Of course, he wanted to rush through it at that point, but he remembered how Owen had kept nudging him with his nose as he sniffed his hair that night they had all, kind of, shared the shower. 

I hope he will like my scent again tonight. 

The thought made him grin and slow his cleaning, being sure to get the good smell everywhere he could reach. Once he was done, he rinsed off, then dried himself as best he could before tugging on a pair of cartoon fox-patterned pajama pants that Amos had bought for him. They hung loose on his hips, but the drawstring held them up well enough. 

The kitchen had his attention next, his stomach eager for whatever might be in the refrigerator. He found the leftover container from last night's dinner and quickly made its contents disappear, then turned toward the sink. 

Oh. It's full. 

Both Amos and Owen had been very busy studying for exams and work recently, so it was no surprise that the chore had been left. 

"I can do this," he said slowly, making sure to pronounce each word correctly in order to practice. 

He had watched Noah load a dishwasher enough times to figure out that he had to rinse the dishes first, then put them inside. Everything was pretty similar to his, too, so the slots for each item were easy to find. 

When he finally got everything in it, with a bit extra creativity, he shut the door, then stared at all of the buttons with a frown. 

"I don't want... to burn house don." 

He carefully read through what each button said, but so many of them seemed like they could be correct. Saving him from problem solving, Fox straightened as a knock sounded from the front door. 

Thinking that it was Owen or Amos, he ran over, but stopped right before turning the deadbolt lock. 

You promised you would look through the window hole first.