Fox 38

(I got a new sofa. Evidently, Cheese and Ball approve...) 

The sound of the school bell brought Fox out of his concentration. He'd finished his exam a while ago, but after having stayed up late to study with Owen most of the week, he had been determined to get a good grade. Thus, he'd been reviewing all of his answers and reworking each problem to make sure that he was comfortable with the results he got. 

There was only one that he wasn't quite sure about after reviewing the entire exam twice, but considering how far he'd come in such a short time, he was pleased with himself when he got up and turned it in to the teacher before heading outside. 

Stepping down from the portable classroom, he looked over toward the main building. 

Pyre? 

The boy he'd talked to before was walking his way, a notebook tucked under his arm but no backpack in sight. 

"Hello, my little Fox friend!" he yelled as he lifted an arm to wave, as if he wasn't clearly visible walking across the large expanse of grass that separated the two areas. 

He had seen the guy around a few times during the week, but neither of them bothered to interact with each other. 

I thought he might have decided I wasn't worth the hassle. 

"Hey you," Pyre said cheerfully as he finally stopped in front of Fox, then reached up to rustle his hair. 

Ducking away from the attention, Fox started toward the main building, intent on getting to lunch early. The first bell was always for the special education students. There would be another shortly to release the main campus kids. 

Pyre easily caught up with him and, to Fox's surprised, grabbed his heavy backpack and swung it over his own shoulder. Fox immediately tried to get it back, but Pyre was surprisingly quick on his feet, even with the added weight. 

"Don't worry, I won't run off with your precious textbooks. This thing just looked way too heavy for you today," he said, making Fox hesitantly relent. 

It was nice not to have to carry the four textbooks. He did have a locker, but considering how often they got broken into, from what he heard whispered around while walking through some of the main hallways, he didn't trust putting his stuff in there. 

He had also brought all of his books today, too. With exams in each class, he'd wanted to review as much as possible, and since taking notes wasn't his strong suit, he preferred to reread chapters. 

"You guys had exams today, right?" Pyre asked, seemingly reading his mind as they stepped up onto the concrete basketball courts that lead into the main walkway area. 

The actual hallways for the main building were outside, but most of it had overhangs in case of poor weather. The only area that wasn't shaded much was the outdoor physical education courts and track. 

Fox nodded as a basketball rolled past them. He expected Pyre to ignore it, but the guy abruptly jumped forward and stopped it with his foot, then skillfully kicked it back toward the group that had been playing a few courts away. 

"That was cool," he mumbled without hesitation, honestly jealous. 

His Fox might be extremely agile and nimble on its paws, but his human form? He was a klutz. Another ball came from a different angle, drawing Fox's attention. He wanted to try what Pyre had done, but he knew that he would end up on his backside. It had taken him a while just to learn how to walk decently well. Trying to kick something like a soccer ball? Not happening.