Fox 4

The sound of a weed-eater whirring to life nearby had Fox's eyes squinting open. It's winter... what the heck is that guy doing? 

Sitting up, he did his best to keep himself upright as he gave a huge yawn, then licked his left paw and glanced out the sliding glass doors. 

Wait a second. 

He hurried over to the slightly open door and jammed his little nose into the space. It hurt his sensitive muzzle, but with a few hard shoves he managed to force the door open wide enough to allow himself to stumble out onto the porch. 

 Fresh air. 

It was still cold out, and likely to get colder that evening, but it felt great to be back outside. 

I'm definitely not a house fox. 

Walking to the edge of the porch, he reached forward with his paws and raised his bum in the air, stretching out as far as he could go before straightening back up and shaking out his messy coat. 

Oh. He's cleaning up some of the dead weeds he let overgrow before it got cold. 

Sitting down next to the worn wooden steps, Fox watched the man work as late morning sunlight struggled to get through the building rain clouds. It wasn't cold enough to snow again yet, but if it did rain then when the temperature dropped during the evening ice would begin to build up on the sidewalks and roads. 

Good thing I don't drive... because a fox driving would just be stupid in the first place. 

"Oh... hey Fox. You're going to get cold out here. Come on, let's go back inside," the man said as he walked over, evidently finished with his poor lawn management job. 

Yeah, I think not. 

Fox side-stepped him as he came up the rickety steps. Noah eyed him as he walked over to the glass door and slid it open, then nodded toward the inside. 

"Don't be stubborn. I'm going to make a big breakfast, and I won't be bringing it out here," he said with a raised eyebrow that had Fox mirroring him with one of his own. 

You forget that your little vet friend is also coming to visit soon, and last I remember, there was something in my butt during our first meeting and while it was a normal test in pets to check for worms, I am not a pet and did not appreciate said object in my arse.  

Noah put his hands on his hips and huffed. Fox flicked his ear and twitched his nose, then turned and hopped off the porch, running right over to the large privacy fence. With one easy jump he was balanced on top of it like a cat, staring back at the man who had moved to the top of the stairs to watch him. 

"Come on, Fox. You don't want to leave like this. Another dose of medicine and your worms will be all taken care of. You have meals given to you and I haven't called the police or animal control. What more do you want me to do?" 

The question made Fox look away for a moment. He'd heard it before... a long, long time ago. Shaking his head, he banished the thoughts that threatened to encroach and hopped off the fence. He heard Noah yell from the other side, but refused to stop as he hurried off through someone else's yard, then down the sidewalk. 

I wish he had fed me before messing with the yard, though I'm still pretty content from yesterday. 

It had been a lot of food for him... in fact. He made his way over to an empty lot and did his business, then continued on his way until a little lizard crossed his path. 

Hello, breakfast. 

It was still sluggish from the chill outside and really shouldn't have been up and about. Sucks for you. He reached down and snatched the little creature up before continuing on, crunching it nonchalantly as a tail hung limply from the side of his mouth. Lizards weren't usually hard to catch, but they didn't provide a whole lot in terms of food and they tended to disappear when the temperatures dropped.