1. Frat Party

Dedicated to @still_just_me for the awesome Mitch aesthetic. Thank you for being an amazing editor and now media-maker! Check out her stories, she is an exceptional writer too!

There were so many little things in life that many people didn't appreciate, like a sunset and stargazing. So many people around my age were more interested in getting wasted or tapping the first thing they saw on two legs. One would call me an old soul, but I was never very much into that lifestyle.

It's not that I didn't enjoy being intoxicated to the point that I couldn't think any more or indulge in the occasional hook-up, but it wasn't something I did regularly.

I was a second-year student at Harvard Law School, I'd completed my pre-law degree in Connecticut at Yale University and then was lucky enough to be accepted in the same university my father attended.

Post-grad was not a simple affair and I envied people with presumably easier majors who spent more time in bars than lecture halls. I might've had it easier to get into Harvard but I didn't take my family name privilege for granted, I aimed to make my parents proud and not for them to see me as an ungrateful brat.

However, even though I took school seriously and aimed for distinctions, I wasn't a bore who only hid behind textbooks and a computer screen. When I didn't need to chase a deadline, I enjoyed being a twenty-two-year-old college student.

"Are you going to just stare into space or are you going to get ready for the party tonight?" I was snapped out of my reverie by my roommate who also happened to be my best friend since middle school.

Owen was like a brother to me and from the moment we met, we hit it off. In high school, Owen was a jock and quite the ladies' man, he brought that with him to under and post-grad school and was proud about it.

He stood at six foot one, had blue eyes and a fashionable comb back hairstyle, he was also athletically built and with his added charm, the ladies loved him.

Despite being unwanted, I also held a 'popular' title and got more female attention than I wanted. In terms of appearance, I was relatively opposite to Owen. I stood at six-foot-four bordering on five inches, my dark hair wasn't in any specific hairstyle unless the occasion required, it sat in unruly waves on top of my head with the occasional annoying strand falling over my forehead. With a name that began with the letter 'M', I inherited blue-grey eyes and dimples from the male line of Clarkes but because a lot of people – girls especially – thought it was cute to poke my cheek, I tried to camouflage them with a well-trimmed stubble.

I stood in front of the large glass window that had a spectacular view of the Boston skyline, the sun was setting and the sky was a beautiful tone of orange and pink. I turned my attention to the shirtless idiot in front of me and was on the verge of sneezing because of strong Owen's cologne was; I sometimes wondered if he bathed in cologne.

"I'm considering taking a raincheck," I told him.

A friend I met in pre-law attended Boston University and was part of a fraternity – one that hosted way too many parties. My friend, Harry, insisted I attend the latest party and said he wanted to introduce me to a girl he thought I'd take a liking to.

Being single and not engaging in a hookup every weekend had its downsides, one being pesky friends who thought I was lonely and needed a girl to warm my bed every week.

They couldn't be any more wrong.

"Come on, man," Owen appeared very close to a pout, "This party was your idea, I stayed up all night last night finishing my thesis just so I could attend."