3. Yet Another Awkward Encounter

It had been a long time since I'd gotten so worked up, I didn't know what it was about... her but she made my blood boil. When I thought about the night we first met, Mila turned out to be a completely different person tonight. While I could tell she had a little flair to her personality and wasn't timid but there was a huge difference between extroverted and plain out insolent.

I couldn't believe she had the nerve to talk to me that way especially after the way we really first met. Any normal person would've hidden in shame but she was loud, obnoxious, and straight out rude. I huffed, sat back against the soft leather sofa, and propped a leg on the coffee table - I refused to allow a silly, mannerless girl to occupy my thoughts and raise my blood pressure.

As soon as Owen got back, I was going to make it clear that I didn't want to see her around and to never plan things that would require mine and Mila's presence – there was no way in hell that I wanted to see her again.

"Good, you're still awake," Owen announced as soon as he entered the apartment.

I wasn't sure how much time passed since I got back but I was preoccupied with a thesis on international labor migration. I ignored Owen and maintained focus on the MacBook screen in front of me.

Owen stood in front of me with a hand on his hip and sighed. "Dude, I'm talking to you."

"I'm busy," I dryly said with my eyes glued to the screen.

"Mitch," Owen held onto the screen and before he even thought about shutting the laptop, I glared at him.

Owen removed his hand, ran it through his hair, and huffed through his lips. "You've just complicated my relationship with Faith and instead of apologizing, you're sulking."

I saved my work, shut the laptop, removed my glasses, and stood up. "Excuse me? How have I complicated your relationship?"

Owen looked at me in disbelief. "Have you already forgotten about your behavior at dinner tonight?"

My patience slowly slipped away and Owen better have thought over what he was to say next. "Are you blaming me?"

"Yes-no," Owen mumbled and took in a breath. "Maybe."

"I don't have time for this shit," I muttered under my breath. I leaned over to collect my stuff from the couch but Owen's voice stopped me.

"You and Mila are to blame," Owen blurted. "What the hell happened with you two?"

I froze and furrowed my brows. "Firstly, there is no Mila and me," I made myself clear. "And what do you mean what happened? What did she say to you after I left?"

I kept my tone neutral but the last thing I wanted was for Owen or anyone to know about the dreadful frat party. Mila didn't seem keen to talk about it either but that girl's mouth was a loose cannon so I wouldn't have been surprised if she told Owen and Faith everything.

Owen appeared perplexed but he shook away his thoughts and said, "Mila didn't say anything because she left straight after you. But she didn't need to say anything either, I was right there when the two of you started taking digs at each other like old rivalries with a personal grudge."

I was relieved to know that Mila also had a limit when it came to running her mouth. I played it cool and replied flatly, "Mila is a problem."

"Don't you think you pushed her buttons a little too much?" Owen questioned. "Do you like her or something? Is that why you got her so worked up?"

I was offended that Owen even thought that I'd like someone like her. Sure, I found her attractive the first time I saw her but after the night's events, she was the furthest from likable – a girl like her would drive any person to the point of insanity.