2. Heated Dinner

I was never opposed to the idea of love and relationships and there was a time, I understood the 'cloud-nine' effect. But when I was happily single – sort of anyway – and had a best friend slash roommate who was beyond whipped, the idea became borderline nauseating. 

Six months ago, Owen and I attended a stupid frat party and while I had possibly the worst night of my life, Owen fell head over heels in love with a girl named Faith Adley. Faith was a second-year medical student at Harvard Med School and after meeting her a few times now, I liked her. She was a little shy, quiet, and gave off a kind, loving vibe – complete opposite of Owen's usual type. 

While I wanted to forget that dreadful night, Owen went on and on about it, and at first, I thought it was another of his infatuations but six months down the line, Owen grew more and more in love with Faith that I began to think this was the real deal.

I was more than happy for my best friend; it was Owen's first serious relationship and first love but my problem wasn't that Owen lived with me and the apartment had thin walls and couldn't block out unwanted sounds when Faith was over but Owen felt obligated to include me in some of his plans when I really didn't want that.

I sighed in annoyance when I glanced at the message I just received from Owen as I made my way to the law faculty library.

Owen: Dinner with Faith and me. Tonight at 7 pm, don't be late.

It wasn't that I didn't like spending time with Owen and Faith but I wasn't amused being the third wheel. Owen suggested I bring the girl I currently saw but I didn't want to give her the wrong impression, she was nice but I didn't want anything too serious.

My friend, Harry, invited me to that frat party months back so he could introduce me to one of his friends but she bailed at the last minute. I didn't complain because I was not looking for a relationship, I was content and happy with my single life. However, I did meet a pretty hot girl at that party, I didn't know much about her other than her name. She was certainly pretty, not just physically but I quite liked her quirky, different personality until an almost-hookup went terribly wrong.

Bile still rose in my throat when I thought of that traumatic night, I blamed myself for not stopping when she specifically said she didn't feel well but I kept going and she ended up barfing in my mouth. I shuddered at the memory and pushed it at the back of my head, I refused to accept that night happened and that was why I never told a soul about it.

I glanced at Owen's message one more time and decided to not reply, I wasn't in the mood to go out when finals were approaching. 

With the textbook I wished to return in my hand, I made my way into the library that was oddly quite full. There were a few people lined up to speak to the librarian so I patiently waited for my turn with one hand in my pocket and the other gripped onto the textbook.

It was almost my turn and when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, I cursed under my breath and decided to check the message later. I took a step forward after someone left the line and almost simultaneously, a girl and a short guy ran past me as if they were in a hurry and almost bumped me in the process.

Fucking tools.

Thankfully the line went by quickly and since I was done with classes for the day, I decided to head on home and get a head start on an essay. A few people greeted me on the way out, some I recognized from classes, others I didn't but to be polite I nodded or offered half a wave.

"Hey, Mitch," A feminine voice greeted and I glanced over my shoulder to be greeted by a familiar pair of eyes.

"Kayleigh," I stopped walking and half-grinned at the girl who had to only have been around five feet tall.