04 - What if?

" Girl!!!!" Alya excitedly exclaimed at her best friend, who was sitting on the bench at the school's backyard, biting her lip.

"He totally has the guts for you!! Did you see his face when we walked in?! He wouldn't break his stare away from you, I'm pretty sure he didn't even notice me there!!"

Marinette bit her lip harder in order to prevent herself from letting out a loud squal or something. 

She didn't want to get her hopes up though, maybe he was staring behind her? Was someone else behind? She didn't notice.

But she's trying to get over him, how is she supposed to do that when he stares at her like that?!

Plus, he has a girlfriend!!

"B-but Kagami! He has her. I can't get my hopes up again."

"Girl! Didn't you hear? They broke up! If they even were together, that is." Alya shrugged. 

Marinette gasped, her mouth forming a small o. 

They broke up?

When?

Why?

She couldn't help but wonder, they looked so happy together! At least to her. 

Weren't they?

She didn't know how to cope with these news, scream in excitement or feel sad for them?

Kagami was her friend, but she didn't even care about Marinette's feelings towards Adrien. 

Marinette knows better than that.

It hurt like hell, and she doesn't want to hurt Kagami any more than she already is.
Besides, she doesn't know for sure if Adrien really likes her that way.

But the thought of him liking her as more than a friend… it gave her butterflies in the stomach.  ( or dare I say, akumas)

" Eeek Alya! I don't know! What if he doesn't and I'm just getting false hopes?!"

She exclaimed, shaking Alya back and fourth. " And Kagami! How would she feel about this?!"

Alya blinked at her friend confused. 

" Did she even care about how you felt?"

"No."

She raised her eyebrow at Marinette.
" Then?"

"Doesn't mean I have to do the same!"

" Girl.. I don't get you. "

Marinette sighed out of frustration. "Look.. for now. I'll remain to be just his friend, like my original plan. I won't try to make a move on him. You know what they say. Go with the flow..?"

The brunette crossed her arms, a small smirk appearing on her lips. "So you will wait until he makes a move?"

" Alyaa I doubt he likes me that way!"

" I don't understand why it's so impossible! The boy woke up in exactly that second you walked in. I don't know what else evidence you need to get you convinced enough."
Marinette bit her lower lip as she thought.
She wanted to believe that, she really did.. but not until he told her himself.

Or showed her somehow.

Like.. by asking her out?

She was so confused, that was so sudden!

And she was also freaking out!

" I'll just wait before I get too excited."