Chapter 5

I look at my reflection in the mirror, hating what i saw. I looked terrible! I had dark bruised eye bags from the broken nose i had gotten and a big blotchy bruise on my cheek.

I hadn't gone out of my room since last night, except for the occasional bathroom run. I didn't want anyone to see me, i looked and felt pathetic. My mom let me stay home from school today, which i was thankful for, i didn't need people asking questions.

I tiptoed out of the bathroom and ran to my room and shut the door carefully behind me. I had slid under my covers once more with plans to stay in this position the entire day.

I pulled out my walkman and once again listened to Elvis. 'Kentucky Rain' played as i shut my eyes and tried to forget about my messed up face.

A couple hours later, i opened my eyes to see that Charlie was sitting on the chair at my desk. My breath hitches from being scared by his out of nowhere entrance, i didn't even know he was home yet. "Woah! can you warn a sister when your are coming in her room! Geez Charlie!"

He chuckles, "well i did knock."

"Of course you did," i reply skeptically. "How are you feeling?" he continues.

"Like a piece of crap. And before you say anything, i know i look like i got hit by a truck." i reply being ashamed with my face.

"No you look badash," he replies while coming over to sit on the edge of my bed as i sit up and hug my legs to my chest.

"Badash?"

"Listening ears," he whispers then mouths 'mom' which i nod my head in understanding too. "I don't feel badash, i feel pathetic."

"You shouldn't! You're the toughest girl i know!"

"Thanks Char," i say glumly, not fully agreeing with his statement.

"Hey do you want to come hang out with me, Averman, Fulton, Jesse, and Adam? We're going to go get ice cream!"

"No thanks char, i want to stay here for today, i'm tired." i lie.

"Oh okay, i'll be back later, see ya kens," charlie says as he gets up and heads for the door.

"see ya," i say more glum than i intended. With one last look back, he finally turns and shuts the door behind him.

I go back to laying down and put my headphones to my walkman back on. Once again i shut my eyes as the symphony of 'Suspicious Minds' played through my ears.

Charlie's POV

I shut the door behind me sadly. I knew Kendall wasn't okay, when does she ever refuse ice cream?

"How's your sister?" my mom asked as i headed for the door. "Not good," i replied.

"Not that she's in any physical pain but she just told me she felt pathetic like she's lost her confidence. We can not have that Kendall because when she loses her confidence we all lose our confidence. It's like a domino effect."

"She just needs her supportive friends and family to show her that even though she may have taken a beating, she's still that extremely tough girl," my mom suggests to me with a kind smile. I nod my head in understanding as i leave the apartment to meet my friends.

I enter into the ice cream shop to see Averman, Fulton, Jesse, and Adam already waiting for me. "Hey guys!" i reply as enthusiastically as i could, but it was hard to keep happy when my sister was so down.

"Kendall's not coming? She loves ice cream!" Fulton exclaims in unbelief. "Nah, she wanted to stay home, she's tired."

"And again skip out on ice cream? That does not sound like the Kendall i know!" Averman exclaims next.