Chapter 20

Kendall's POV

This morning i woke up in the comfort of my own bed. Oh how i've missed my mattress.

I lazily rolled out of bed and wobbled over to grab a jacket and made my way towards the kitchen.

"Hey Kendall! It's good to see you! I missed you!" I looked over to see a boy around my age with brown hair and deep blue eyes. This must be the step brother Ben that mom was telling me about.

"Oh hey Ben, long time no see," i say tiredly as i grab the reese's puffs from the pantry.

"You remember me?" he replies with a shocked expression. "My mom told me about you," i answer trying to put a smile on my face.

"Oh, well how was playing for team USA?" he asks sincerely as we both take a seat at the table and pour the cereal into our bowls.

"Hmm, i gotta say i can't remember but from what i have experienced it wasn't the best, that's why i'm home."

"I'm sorry about that Kendall. I know you can't remember but you were amazing! The best on the team in my opinion." I smile kindly at him and shoved a big spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

"Hey! I was going to wait until Charlie got home too but i really think you would enjoy the welcome home gift i made you guys!" He says excitedly as he rushes away. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as he comes back with video tapes.

He placed the video tapes down on the table as he wore a goofy smile on his face. "I watched and recorded all of your games for you guys to have as a memory. Maybe you could take a look and maybe something will jog your memory."

This was so sweet of him. I instantly stand up and hug him tightly, "thank you Ben!" This had definitely cheered me up from the slump i was in. I couldn't help the smile on my face as i went back to eating.

"Good morning sweetie! You look happy this morning," my mom says coming out and making a pot of coffee.

"Yeah well i am! Ben recorded all my games and now i can watch them to try to remember!"

She giggled and came over to sit with me at the table. She brushed my hair behind my ear as she looked at me lovingly, "well, it's always worth a try."

Her hand moved down to the sleeve of my jacket as a look of confusion spread across her face, "who's jacket is this, i've never seen it."

I looked down to notice that i was wearing Adams jacket that i had left here. My smile instantly turned into a frown, "it's Adam's."

My mom gave a knowing look as she shut her mouth. "Sorry," she said quietly and went back over to her coffee pot.

I washed my bowl and cleaned up my mess. After i was finished i went to Charlie's room and took off the jacket and threw it on his bed. I grabbed one of Charlie's sweatshirts instead for the warmth i wanted. Much better.

I plopped myself on the couch and turned on Karate Kid. And that's where i stayed for the rest of the day.

"I wish you were here."

"I'm sorry Char but i needed to go home. I already feel so much better. And i watched the game today! You guys did amazing! Congratulations on the win!"

"It's your win too. Even though you're gone, you're still a part of the team," he says sadly. I had decided to call him to see how he was doing and apparently he's not very well. I felt guilt rise up inside of me of how i just left Charlie. I should be there for him like how he's always there for me.

"Everyone misses you. Instead of celebrating after the game we basically mourned your departure." I chuckled at how dramatic my team was. But hey, so am i so we make a good group.

"Well tell everyone i miss them and that i love them and i am also bringing all the support here in Minnesota!"

"Why can't you just come back Kens."

"You know it's too late for that."

"Is it too late or are you just too afraid to come back?"

I sigh, "a little bit of both."

"Yeah. Well i have homework to do so i'll talk to you later," he hung up before i could even say goodbye. He's mad at me. I would be too if he was the one who left me.

I hang by the phone for a while before i make my way to my room. I laid on my bed looking up at the ceiling. I turn my head over to see the video tapes i've yet to watch.

I pause a moment before jumping up, grabbing the tapes, and heading into the living room.

I place the 'USA vs. TRINIDAD' into the VCR and sit myself down on the floor right in front of the tv.

My eyes started to tear up as i saw myself skating freely down the ice. Passing one person, passing another, scoring.

I looked so invested and energetic. I looked like i was having fun and i can't even remember.

One after the other, i watched diligently as me and my team played with pride and excitement. I went to go grab the next tape and froze, 'USA vs. ICELAND'

I began breathing heavily as i placed the tape into the VCR. I pressed play and already saw myself being tossed around between the huge iceland players. The ref in this game was horrible. He didn't call anything fair.

USA so far had zero points, i could see coach bombay getting all riled up from the bench.

Then i got possession of the puck. I skated down past players but two were coming my way. From the tapes i've watched i've noticed that Adam and I play beautifully together, the total power duo.

I saw me once again relying on my power partner as i passed Adam the puck. He scored.

I saw myself cheering and then a big icelandic dude pushing off my helmet. I saw my head get slammed into the wall and onto the ice. At that moment i began sobbing. I held a hand over my mouth to quiet my sobs as the tears had streamed down my face.

I heard Adam's blood curdling scream full of worry. I saw him immediately skate over to me. I saw Charlie racing out of the box as pure panic took over his face. I saw them trying to shake me awake and the blood dripping from my head. I turn the TV off as i put my back to the couch.

I couldn't stop the tears from coming. I guess my mom heard my sobs as she came running out of her room and hugging me close to her chest.

I continued to cry and cry until i must have wore myself out and fell asleep right in her arms.

I was home alone as my mom and ricky were at work and Ben was at school.

I sat on the couch watching Grease, a classic. I watched as the beautiful Olivia Newton John sang her heartbreak out through 'hopelessly devoted to you.' A good song for a heartbreak, not that i have one or anything, i just wanted to put that out there.

A knock on the door sounded as i remained my booty on the couch. It was probably just someone trying to sell something anyways and besides, i looked like complete trash.

My hair was in a low messy bun, i had sweats on with a tank top and a loose jacket, and my eyes had been extremely puffy from the night before. I wasn't about to embarrass myself.

A knock sounded once more as i did my best to ignore it. After a few more knocks i got annoyed and finally made my way over to the door.

I open the door quickly wanting to shoo them away but my expression became somber at the person in front of me.

"Adam... what are you doing here?"

A/N- Story time! So i made my friends watch the mighty ducks trilogy this week. Keep in mind that they thought i was weird for watching a hockey ducks movie over and over again. But they were screaming the entire time and by the end of the first movie they were already in love with Banks and Charlie. I've honestly created monsters with new found obsessions. Should i be happy or worried?

More chapters coming soon!