September

Friday, September 3

Day 173

It was a rainy morning, loud claps of thunder and the pattering of raindrops on your bedroom windows rousing you from your sleep. Gray light filtered through your curtains, just enough that you could make out Spencer's silhouette in the dark. You reached out, tracing the bridge of his nose with your finger, and then his eyebrows and then his lips. You felt his warm smile underneath your gentle touch, and you paused.

Slowly, his eyes opened and he looked over at you. He extended an arm, inviting you to snuggle closer to him. You complied with a grin, excited that he wanted you to be closer, that he wanted to touch you, to be around you. His chest rose and fell evenly, a small sigh escaping his lips as the both of you drifted off to sleep again.

-

Wednesday, September 15

Day 184

You were on your way to the bar when you got the call from Spencer.

"I am so sorry-"

Ugh.

"-they really wanted to meet you. I promise we'll do it another time."

"It's okay," you sighed.

After the phone call concluded, you realized you had a choice to make. Still go to the bar? But what was the point? It's not like you were going to flirt with someone else to get free drinks. Although drinking alone didn't sound like such a fun option either. It felt like such a waste. You had gotten dressed up for nothing.

Wait.

You picked up your phone, calling the one person who you knew was always down to hang out.

"Hey, Audrey! Do you happen to have any plans for tonight?"

-

Saturday, September 25

Day 194

Meeting Spencer's coworkers was... intense. They were all kind. Very close-knit and attentive, almost intimidatingly so. You felt like the odd one out, even though you knew they were trying their best to include you in everything.

Then there were the looks. You knew what Spencer and his coworkers did for a living, but you noticed the micro expressions that flitted across their faces every once in awhile when you spoke. They weren't anything bad, but it was just enough to make you feel self-conscious, as if you were the one under a microscope.

You had recognized Penelope right away, the one that had come to his door that one night. She was the most bubbly and outgoing. As far as intimidating, Aaron had to be the worst. His stoic expression was likely just a case of RBF, but even then it made you the tiniest bit nervous.

Despite these things, you still managed to have fun. Spencer's affirmations made you feel better as well. His assurances that they approved really meant a lot to you, and their invitation for you to join them again sometime felt genuine.

At the end of the day, you could see how much they cared for him. That was what mattered the most. They would keep him safe, just as you knew he did for them. They were a family, something that you knew Spencer had always wanted.